Today's article helps you learn when you installed Linux.

It doesn't seem all that heavy, but I have very modern hardware with ample resources.
Yep that makes a big difference.

Using a resource hungry DE on a computer which doesn't have powerful enough hardware to support a resource hungry DE can sometimes makes for a painful Linux experience.

@Alexzee

It's in the very first post in this thread. LOL

In post #4 you can see when I edited it - 'cause it didn't actually say that until @Tolkem pointed out that I should mention that.

For future posts, I've found a way to make those sort of notes more easily noticed. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Using a resource hungry DE on a computer which doesn't have powerful enough hardware to support a resource hungry DE can sometimes makes for a painful Linux experience.

It doesn't appear to be using a ton of RAM, but it's more than some. Lemme get some numbers...

Manjaro w/Cinnamon - in a freshly booted VM it's at 593 MB of RAM used. Same circumstances with Ubuntu (Gnome) is 727 MB of RAM used. If you've only got 2 or 4 GB, that's a goodly percentage used up just to show the DE.

It doesn't appear to be using a ton of RAM, but it's more than some. Lemme get some numbers...

Manjaro w/Cinnamon - in a freshly booted VM it's at 593 MB of RAM used. Same circumstances with Ubuntu (Gnome) is 727 MB of RAM used. If you've only got 2 or 4 GB, that's a goodly percentage used up just to show the DE.
No it doesn't use a lot of ram.

The integrated graphics adapter ain't the greatest and I'm sure that loads the processor at times when streaming HD videos.
Code:
nelson@nelsonmuntz:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] driver: radeon v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.0-16-amd64 LLVM 7.0.1) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
Cinnamon is Gnome3 and needs a real graphics card instead of a motherboard integrated graphics adapter.

It's 11 years old it works OK.

Cinnamon is Gnome3 and needs a real graphics card instead of a motherboard integrated graphics adapter.

I have LMDE (w/Cinnamon) on a laptop that has integrated graphics - but it's a pretty shiny and new system with gobs of RAM and a pretty decent CPU.

Is you're LMDE4 laptop motherboard integrated graphics adapter or an
APU or HD processor graphics.

I know you said it has integrated graphics but what type.

I know you said it has integrated graphics but what type.

This one is "Intel UHD Graphics".

LMDE was previously installed on a system with "Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics" but that system is now running a beta Lubuntu and LMDE is now on a laptop.

In both instances, it ran okay with a bunch of applets and desklets. I do not do much beyond that that's graphics-intensive. I might stream a video, but I never bother with more than like 720p due to bandwidth constraints. Anything higher bogs the network down.

Also, my bandwidth...

Selection_142.png

It's usually a bit closer to 10 Mbps. It's actually not as terrible as it might seem, except the upload bit. Any uploads magically saturate the connection and downloading while uploading at 'full speed' is impossible - including regular browsing.

There's wondershaper for that, which is actually not enabled right now.

When we was on twisted pair copper wire internet service that's what our internet speed was and never had any complaints.

We now have fiber internet with 100 Mbps up / 100 Mbps down which is lightening fast and going to fiber lowered the cost of out monthly bill.

and never had any complaints.

The download speed is fine. Upload is slow and, as mentioned, saturates my connection. What I do is I use wondershaper to 'shape' my traffic by limiting my upload speed to half that amount. Sure, my uploads are slower (they're already slow) but it doesn't saturate my connection. When the connection is saturated, none of the devices on that connection can even browse the web.

I also have two DSL connections (each, obviously) on their own separate lines. One does things like keep the missus happy and stream videos to a TV. It also provides guest access. The other one is pretty much just mine.

I will likely never have anything faster - unless satellite somehow magically goes faster (but I'd not want the lag). The odds of them running fiber where I live are pretty much zero. So, it's a good thing that I'm okay with it! I haven't really got much choice in the matter.

Also, I should be in bed. I got distracted.

Code:
speedtest-cli --simple
Ping: 11.787 ms
Download: 356.40 Mbit/s
Upload: 41.55 Mbit/s

Members online