Today's article has you limiting your download speed while using wget...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Exactly as it says in the title. I've used this feature many times in my process, but it's less important now. It's also pretty easy.

I do love me some feedback.

Nice, helpful article, but really? Is there a lot of demand to throttle download speeds? It seems a lot like auto racing engine specification requirements. :p

-> I am still waiting for the article that increases my download speed. You know, the one that works from the command line just like today's article ... without involving an additional outlay of cash. :-(

There are still people all over the place with crappy connections. Heck, I used to use it.

I'd use it still today, if I was doing something like downloading a whole website. I'd use that and the no-clobber flag to be nice about it.

Alas, it seems it only goes one way. You could probably do things to tweak your connection, maybe things like adjust MTU values. I dunno how much it'll realistically help.

There are still people all over the place with crappy connections. Heck, I used to use it.

I'd use it still today, if I was doing something like downloading a whole website. I'd use that and the no-clobber flag to be nice about it.

Alas, it seems it only goes one way. You could probably do things to tweak your connection, maybe things like adjust MTU values. I dunno how much it'll realistically help.
Thanks for the advice, but I was joking.

Please don't be jealous, but our 300 Mbits/sec internet service is more than we need here at home. We were pleased with 100 Mbits/sec, but the cable company bumped it twice without prompting, at no additional cost. Coincidentally, those bumps happened after fiber competition appeared in our neighborhood.

(To take advantage of the increased speed, I had to buy a faster cable modem, but you can find used 2-3 year old modems for $10-$20 that can easily keep up with double our data rates. Considering the glut of reasonably fast preowned modems, who would pay $100-$150 for a new one?)

By the way, when I download large files, I rarely see servers that achieve 300 Mbits/sec speeds. I assume that they have connections that could keep up, but are busy serving multiple users.

I will never have that kind of bandwidth at my house...

Well, it's extremely unlikely.

But, I really don't need more than what I have. I can download, stream while downloading, and browse at will. So, that's adequate...

Back in like 2002 I was the only one on a cable connection as a beta user and managed to find firmware that uncapped my modem. That was pretty sweet for a while.

Where I'm at now is where I'm gonna be until I die. It's currently a combination of satellite and cellular. I got mad at our DSL provider when they refused to fix the line until spring. So, it's satellite and cellular until I get over my hissy fit.

Staff online