Today's article has you learning about a new *fetch...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
If you've follow the site, you've learned about neofetch, screenfetch, and even cpufetch.

Well, in much the same vein, there's an application that does the same thing for RAM. It is, of course, called RAMfetch.

I do love me some feedback. Notably, this is the first article of the new year. I have high hopes for the site this year, and still have yet to run out of article ideas.

Oh... I was hoping RAMfetch could also identify the make and model each memory stick, which slot it occupies, whether multi-channel engaged successfully; you know, pertinent information that would let a user verify at a glance if, for example, he's been scammed on a quality of the memory, not just the quantity.

I don't suppose that data can be accessed from the OS environment?

I don't suppose that data can be accessed from the OS environment?

OEMs don't always encode the data, but you can try:

Code:
sudo dmidecode -t memory

By the way, look up dmidecode - you'll learn a lot if you're not already aware. It's kinda awesome.

By the way, look up dmidecode - you'll learn a lot if you're not already aware. It's kinda awesome.
Yeah. Its a lot more technical, doesn't look as cool as the fetch commands. The way it looks to me is that its probably the grandfather of those!

Yeah. Its a lot more technical, doesn't look as cool as the fetch commands. The way it looks to me is that its probably the grandfather of those!

I'm no programmer but this appears to just be checking /proc/meminfo, from reading the source:

There's a ton of good info to be had from dmidecode. Check this page, 'cause ain't no way I'm gonna write an article like this one:

Mine is much worse!

It's worth noting about the good info that demidecode output provides, there are caveats, some of which are mentioned in the man page:

dmidecode is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say SMBIOS) table contents in a human-readable format. This table contains a description of the system's hardware components, as well as other useful pieces of information such as serial numbers and BIOS revision. Thanks to this table, you can retrieve this information without having to probe for the actual hardware. While this is a good point in terms of report speed and safeness, this also makes the presented information possibly unreliable.

In other words, demidecode doesn't actually go and probe the hardware, but relies on installed info. Unfortunately, that limitation can be evident in the following sort of output where the user's interest in determining certain information is simply not satisfied, the absence being indicated in statements which begin: "To be filled ... ". In the following snippet there are six instances of information which could be of interest missing:
Code:
System Information
        Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
        UUID: 031b021c-040d-0565-9c06-b50700080009
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch
        SKU Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Family: To be filled by O.E.M.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: H110M-S2H-CF
        Version: x.x
        Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
Inspection of the hardware may be needed for the information.

There's a thread here that covers heaps of information gathering tools:
but I couldn't say off-hand which ones fill the gaps dmidecode has.

Last edited:
It's worth noting about the good info that demidecode output provides, there are caveats, some of which are mentioned in the man page:

Not only are there gaps, I've found the wrong info in there before - but it's the best tool we've got for some things. I don't want to bash OEMs, but man some of them suck.

Have you tried afetch or fastfetch?
I have cpufetch, screenfetch, and fastfetch in my repo, but not ramfetch.
Will grab it off the internet.

I've also had good luck with lshw

#> lshw -c memory
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
physical id: 0
version: P4.20
date: 08/05/2019
size: 64KiB
capacity: 16MiB
capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification uefi
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: a
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 16GiB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR4 Synchronous 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
product: CMK32GX4M4B3200C16
vendor: AMI
physical id: 0
serial: 00000000
slot: ChannelA-DIMM0
size: 8GiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 3200MHz (0.3ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM DDR4 Synchronous 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
product: CMK32GX4M4B3200C16
vendor: AMI
physical id: 1
serial: 00000000
slot: ChannelB-DIMM0
size: 8GiB
clock: 3200MHz (0.3ns)
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 13
slot: L1 Cache
size: 384KiB
capacity: 384KiB
capabilities: synchronous internal write-back unified
configuration: level=1
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 14
slot: L2 Cache
size: 1536KiB
capacity: 1536KiB
configuration: level=2
*-cache:2
description: L3 cache
physical id: 15
slot: L3 Cache
size: 12MiB
capacity: 12MiB
configuration: level=3
*-memory UNCLAIMED
description: RAM memory
product: Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 14.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
version: 10
clock: 33MHz (30.3ns)
capabilities: pm cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:a1336000-a1337fff memory:a133c000-a133cfff

thanks for posting my fetch tool. i really appreciate it.
the screenshot would look better if you changed the font to fira code though. and also i changed the ascii logo from having 4 to 2 notches.

Last edited:
thanks for posting my fetch tool. i really appreciate it.
the screenshot would look better if you changed the font to fira code though. and also i changed the ascii logo from having 4 to 2 notches.

Ah, nice. It's great to meet the folks who write the software I use.

If you're curious, the article idea came from a Reddit post. I figured it'd deserve a full article.

If you'd like to add a fresh screenshot, it won't take me too terribly long to edit in it. You will of course have to give me permission to use said picture.

It's unlikely to get a new article unless it's some sort of 'revisit' article after a year has passed or something of that nature.

Ah, nice. It's great to meet the folks who write the software I use.

If you're curious, the article idea came from a Reddit post. I figured it'd deserve a full article.

If you'd like to add a fresh screenshot, it won't take me too terribly long to edit in it. You will of course have to give me permission to use said picture.

It's unlikely to get a new article unless it's some sort of 'revisit' article after a year has passed or something of that nature.
was the reddit post cpufetch? and sure, you could use the said picture.

was the reddit post cpufetch?

It was in a comment somewhere. Sadly, I'm not sure what the topic was. It was basically 'try ramfetch, it's neat' (or similar) which is why I tried it and then wrote the article. If you want to provide a different screenshot, I'll happily edit it in.

I'm in the middle of a collectible car auction (I'm bidding online), but I'll get to it as soon as realistically possible.

And it has been added. Thanks for the reminder, as it had slipped my mind.

If you've follow the site, you've learned about neofetch, screenfetch, and even cpufetch.

Well, in much the same vein, there's an application that does the same thing for RAM. It is, of course, called RAMfetch.

I do love me some feedback. Notably, this is the first article of the new year. I have high hopes for the site this year, and still have yet to run out of article ideas.
When I try to install it I'm prompted for a git username? Is there a way to install without an account?

Staff online

Members online