Today's article has you finding the size of a directory...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Seems to be a complicated way for finding out the contents of a Folder...I right click the Folder and choose Properties.
happy0035.gif

In Linux Mint we have the Disk Usage Analyzer which shows contents and size of Folders...of cause I can open a Terminal and type "ls" but it's not something I do...when I can just open the Home Folder.

Back in the old days to create a Folder (directory) we would open a Terminal and type "mkdir bob"...bob being the name of the Folder and it still works today with Folder "bob" being placed in the Home Folder but who does that now...certainly not beginners.
anim_42.gif

certainly not beginners.

Of course they do. That's one of the first things they learn. All sorts of beginners aren't afraid of the terminal. Heck, my terminal-based articles are plentiful and among the most popular - especially the easier stuff. Newbies love that stuff.

Yeah, I checked, and four out of the top ten most visited articles last month are terminal tips/tricks aimed quite squarely at new users. They love that stuff, which is why I write as much of it as I do. It's quick, easier, and appreciated. If I write a 1200 word article about hunting down kernel error messages and figuring out what they mean, people read like 25% of it and click off to another article or close the site entirely.

(I pay a lot of attention to what my traffic does, not as individuals but as trends. I get way too much traffic to try to spot an individual. I used to only get a couple dozen visitors.)

No disrespect intended and I'm not bashing your article and I think the articles you write are excellent.
happy0035.gif

I don't think it's being scared to use the Terminal...for me it's what's easier to do...I imagine it would be the same for beginners but I could be wrong.

I use the Terminal now more than I ever did in windwoes and have a big list of Terminal Commands that come in very handy and I'm no expert...anyway keep em coming.
happy0034.gif