Today's article has you disabling/removing your swap file...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Not that you necessarily should, but that you can. There's some info on why I don't bother and why I use swap, which might interest some of you.

Feedback is great.

I'll leave my swap file as is...having 16GB of RAM it's not something to worry about as I doubt I'll ever use it.
m1213.gif

I remember Linux Mint 18.3 was the last Distro with a swap partition and because I had 16GB of RAM I got a 16GB swap partition...glad that changed.
m1227.gif

In the article I see you're using swap even with plenty of RAM installed...I don't.
This is the amount of RAM used while on line...
~$ free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 15919 1489 8583 129 5847 13995
Swap: 2047 0 2047

On line and running a VM that has 6GB of RAM
~$ free -m
Mem: 15919 8010 1963 139 5945 7464
Swap: 2047 0 2047

I use a swap file, much smaller in my case and it gets used. It even gets used on a system with 64 GB of RAM. So, I let the system have it. If you check the article, though my highlighting appears to have gone missing, check the 2nd quote and you'll see why I use it.

I did swap file to my Samsung Chromebook 3 put a 250gb sd card in place of the non removable EMMC@ 16gb 4gb ram with Coreboot .
This allowed me to run Linux OS. And Batocera games.
~$ free -m
Mem: 3877 765 333 138 2778 2687
Swap: 2047 106 1941

Last edited:
I did swap file to my Samsung Chromebook 3 put a 250gb sd card in place of the non removable EMMC@ 16gb 4gb ram with Coreboot .

I notice that even on your system it doesn't take use all that much swap. So, I see absolutely zero reason to not use it. As mentioned above, I even use it on systems with gobs of memory - and the kernel makes some use of it. I figure that kernel is smarter than I am about managing resources.

Doing a zram article is definitely on my radar, but I want more experience with it first. So far, I've enabled it here and there, but I've not paid much attention to what's going on underneath.

I notice that even on your system it doesn't take use all that much swap. So, I see absolutely zero reason to not use it. As mentioned above, I even use it on systems with gobs of memory - and the kernel makes some use of it. I figure that kernel is smarter than I am about managing resources.
I just saved a chromebook from going to the trash at the end of tge day . lol

I just saved a chromebook from going to the trash at the end of tge day . lol

LOL I have never owned a Chromebook. I won't say never, but I'm probably not going to own one in the near future, though I am reaching the point where I'm being forced/coerced to use Windows.

I'm modernizing some of my music gear (it's a long story, but I'm a retired, though sometimes still performing, professional musician). That requires Windows, or sometimes Android - but always at least Windows. Windows is the common denominator.

(If you've noticed me not posting on a weekend night, odds are good that I'm not home, I'm performing - though I'm doing less and less of that these days as my ultimate goal is to retire completely. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the fun - and the obligation. As I said, it's a long story.)

So, like it or not, I'm going to have to, by virtue of the things I've purchased, going to have to get a Windows box up and running. Obviously, I have a current complete lack of Windows devices. This is going to be interesting. I'll probably keep it off-line inasmuch as I can, but I still feel obligated to keep the damned thing updated. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I've been putting off buying said Windows machine for more than a year. I just don't want a Windows computer. I have things like amp/cab modelers that I can control with tiny buttons and a tiny screen, but the full fledged editing isn't available without a Windows device. I have an amp, a lovely 'bedroom' Fender Mustang LT25, and I can't update it to the new firmware 'cause I don't actually have a Windows computer. I also can't edit the some of the settings without it - unless, maybe, I use the tiny screen on it. But, it does kinda work with Linux... Not nearly as well as it should, but it does kinda work...

I have two modeling/multi-effects pedals that demand the same thing, plus I have not just one but two Kemper systems that require Windows. So, it's time for me to get a Windows device. Obviously, it should be a mobile device, so that I can take it to the amps or whatnot. So, I gotta buy one...

Ah well...

/rant

I'm sorry you are going through hard times and having to lay down to windows...... I don't disrespect you for it as it is the easy way and all the minions follow it. Witch corners you into the mainstream..... not your fault society is stupid. I played guitar in the 90'S and occasionally today. if you need windows for work thatz one thing but if we catch you using windows on a daily we may just give you a huge and say its ok you still have Linux .

Code:
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$ sudo swapon --show
[sudo] password for sparkylinux:

NAME      TYPE SIZE USED PRIO
/swapfile file 512M   0B   -2

Code:
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$ free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            3830         259        2780          29         789        3324
Swap:            511           0         511

With only 4.0 GB of memory on this box I'll most likely use swap depending on number of open tabs and what is being done.

I change my swap level from the unreasonable default amount of (60) to a reasonable amount of (10) which may give a slight speed gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you are going through hard times and having to lay down to windows......

Today's tech is pretty awesome, and Windows or Mac only - with a lot being Windows only. I can use electronic effects, instead of stomp pedals. I can simulate amplifiers without actually owning that amplifier. I can even simulate the cab that it's going through - all with quite a bit of accuracy. Those multi-effects boxes from the 90s have come a long, long ways in the intervening years.

Most of this can be done using the device itself, but it's far easier to do with a computer.

So, I've gotta suck it up and get a Windows laptop. I really don't want to buy a new one for this, so I might get a refurb from NewEgg, Amazon, or eBay. It doesn't even need to be powerful. It just has to run current Windows.

Amusingly, I haven't got a clue how to use Windows these days. Not a clue... I'm sure it can't have changed that much - but I don't actually remember all that much. Those brain cells got left in various wine glasses, I suppose.

Holy drunken post batman! lol my bad haha!

Holy drunken post batman! lol my bad haha!

I was stone cold sober for today's post. The other one? Not so much... I was sipping the wine and sometimes doing rum on ice. So, yeah...