KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Umm...

Never mind...

I use a dark reader extension and it was turned off for the www subdomain but not the canonical domain name.

Mystery solved!

Damn, I was looking forward to getting my teeth into that ;);)

We could keep the thread open, as a sort of "you learn a new thing every day" opportunity?

Chris

I don't mind keeping it open. Do, please, laugh at my life lessons. Laughter is the greatest of medicines... Well, no... Not really... That'd be pain killers and antibiotics, I suppose.

Code:
reboot   system boot  5.4.0-58-generic Mon Jan  4 14:53 - 14:54 (1+00:00)

Pure coincidence... I just happened to reboot exactly 24 hours after booting the last time. Well, there will be some seconds difference, but that's a neat coincidence.

I couldn't think of anywhere else to stick this, but I wanted to share it.

I'm very easily amused. Perhaps way too easily amused.

When I browse to website I use https://linux.org, the e-mail notifications from threads are linked to https://www.linux.org so I had to login both the main(without www) domain and the subdomain(www) in order to get the correct page when clicking on the link in the notifications e-mails to open the thread I am getting a notification for. Is that done for a specific reason? I would find it more logical for the e-mails to link to the main domain instead of the subdomain?

It might be because many people still default to typing in the www subdomain. That's purely speculative, however.

They may look at their metrics and see that more people favor the www over just the plain TLD? Maybe?

On some of my domains, I use rewrite rules with .htaccess to just push everyone to the TLD and be done with it. I do that 'cause I'm too lazy to check the statistics on both in like awstats. I also like the consistency.

@f33dm3bits on #8 - that might be better asked as a question at Site Assistance, and mention Rob with an @ and see if he can explain.

Avagudweegend.

Something that I can actually see is:

When you click a link to view another site, you also send a 'referrer' with it.

So, when people click on my linuxtips.gq site links, they send a referrer and those are logged as part of the site's metrics. (Every site does it, even this one.)

The majority of clicks come from people using the www.

About 3:1 use www and not just linux.org, according to the very limited numbers I have available. That also includes only the people who have clicked links to the linuxtips site in January. (Approximately 60 data points, so a very trivial amount and shouldn't be used for more than wild speculation.)

I am a bit surprised by that. It's easier to just type linux.org.

I actually am at the www subdomain, 'cause I clicked a link in an email and just haven't switched it - as I leave the tab open by default.

Anyhow, if you want to WAG and speculate, 3:1 use the www subdomain.

Staff online