to make hidden file or folder

Hallo,
How can I change the attributes of a file or folder?
Thank you

Hi Tevfik, and welcome! Making a file or folder "hidden" in Linux is easy.... just rename it to begin with a "dot" (period). Hidden files are often called "dotfiles" for this reason. Then, to see them in your file manager, use CTRL-H to toggle them into view and back to hidden. If you go into your home folder and CTRL-H, you will find many hidden files and folders there already.

If you want to see hidden files from the command line, use the -a option, like this:
Code:
ls -a

Cheers

Hello,
I am using Samba, GNU coreutils 8.26
I have found this in forums
select Jpg.
map hidden = yes

but it didn't work, I thing hidden is not a command for Samba.
Thanks to all

I am using Samba

Samba is a networking protocol so that Linux can communicate with Windows, and do file transfers, etc. I don't think that it has any inherent ability to "hide" files... that is more of a filesystem and/or permission capability, and each operating system hides files differently. See this for more details about how Windows/Linux/Mac each do it their own way.

So, basically, I don't think it is possible to use Samba to copy a file that is hidden with Linux (a dot-file or dot-folder) to a Windows partition and have it automatically be hidden in Windows too. However, after you copy a Linux dot-file/folder to Windows, you can then change the attributes of the file/folder so that it will also be hidden in Windows. You will have to manually do this, or create a batch file to help automate the process. See this and this for a little more information.

Perhaps a BASH script from Linux could be used more effectively than a batch file from Windows, but that goes well beyond my skills. :eek::confused::D

Cheers

Hello,
Thank you for your interest first. I have done it and it works very properly.
Of course, I am already a beginner, and sure I will learn much more thing in time.
Thanks to the Forum too.
Cheers

Hello,
To hide the files and folders, I put a dot in front of the name of the files and folders. (example, old folder name Photo, new .Photo)
To change the attribute of files and folders, first I have learned admin password. Then I used the commands, row by row as;
sudo "password"
cd "name of folder"
chmod 744 "file name"

That's all.
Thank you for all again
Cheers

Members online

Latest posts