Tim Berners-Lee is Working to Re-Decentralize the Web

D

Deleted member 111282

Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well! :)

As you know, the modern web has gradually become a tool of control by the Powers That Be, and the man who invented the original web has had concerns about that happening since day one. Now he's finally doing something about it by developing a platform called Solid https://solidproject.org/. While it seems exciting and has potential, one thing I'm concerned about is it being funded by Mastercard and how much influence they'll have. In case anyone's wondering, his stated goal with this is to put the power of the web back into the hands of individuals, so to have it financially-backed by a multi-national payment processing corporation (who has some skeletons in their closet, such as anti-trust violations) seems contradictory, and makes you wonder what interest they have in it. As much as I'd like to have it backed by organizations like the FSF, EFF, the TOR Project, various distro development teams, etc, they don't have nearly as much money as Mastercard would.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for sharing, looks interesting!

As you know, the modern web has gradually become a tool of control by the Powers That Be, and the man who invented the original web has had concerns about that happening since day one. Now he's finally doing something about it by developing a platform called Solid https://solidproject.org/. While it seems exciting and has potential, one thing I'm concerned about is it being funded by Mastercard and how much influence they'll have. In case anyone's wondering, his stated goal with this is to put the power of the web back into the hands of individuals, so to have it financially-backed by a multi-national payment processing corporation (who has some skeletons in their closet, such as anti-trust violations) seems contradictory, and makes you wonder what interest they have in it. As much as I'd like to have it backed by organizations like the FSF, EFF, the TOR Project, various distro development teams, etc, they don't have nearly as much money as Mastercard would.
Looks like another cloud service making promises.

Members online