Thumb Drive Problem

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
I found an ISO of the Guttenburg project. This one was from about 10 years ago. Since it was an ISO file, I thought of burning it to a Cd, but thought that I would try a thumb drive instead (16GB sandisk Cruzer). Using Mint cinnamon, I set it up just like I would for a Linux ISO. It did not explode the files like it should have, so I went into the disk manager to delete the partitions, and recover the full 16Gb of the drive. It, however had other ideas in mind, and stubbornly resisted all my attempts to delete the partitions. After scratching my head for a while, I just loaded Puppy Linux, and used GPARTED. After some gymnastics, I made the partitions go away, and recovered the full drive. Take that, Gremlins!:) The moral here is that if the first tool does not work, open up your box and get out the BFH (Big Frikkin Hammer):p

Did you use a burning app like Etcher, or did you use dd?

The ISO standard and the structure of ISO files has evolved over time. So if you open it in Ark, do you see the directory structure?

Mint comes with a USB Image Writer which is really easy to use.
The dd cmd works too of course but I don't use it much anymore unless I have to.

I used the usb Image writer from the main menu. Hetertofore I have had no problem with it. In any case, I opened the ISO file and copied all the books out of it as text files. I am now in the process of examining them. There are some great works of literature among them.:)

Last edited:
From personal negative experience, I stay away from Sandisk and its hidden "spyware,' for lack of a better term --firmware? -- (don't know what it is) on its USB sticks (LQ had something about it years ago). I do likewise with Hitachi hard drives. Never had much luck with Toshiba, either, though some say their experience has been good.

To me, they're not worth the trouble and, like Budweiser -- just because they're everywhere doesn't make them good!

Long live Puppy!

It doesn't matter the manufacturer. I almost almost run fdisk and blow away the partition table.

From personal negative experience, I stay away from Sandisk and its hidden "spyware,' for lack of a better term --firmware? -- (don't know what it is) on its USB sticks (LQ had something about it years ago). I do likewise with Hitachi hard drives. Never had much luck with Toshiba, either, though some say their experience has been good.

To me, they're not worth the trouble and, like Budweiser -- just because they're everywhere doesn't make them good!

Long live Puppy!
I have a few of the Lexar 16GB sticks that seem to work well, and a 64GB PNY stick too.:cool:

I found an ISO of the Guttenburg project. This one was from about 10 years ago. Since it was an ISO file, I thought of burning it to a Cd, but thought that I would try a thumb drive instead (16GB sandisk Cruzer). Using Mint cinnamon, I set it up just like I would for a Linux ISO. It did not explode the files like it should have, so I went into the disk manager to delete the partitions, and recover the full 16Gb of the drive. It, however had other ideas in mind, and stubbornly resisted all my attempts to delete the partitions. After scratching my head for a while, I just loaded Puppy Linux, and used GPARTED. After some gymnastics, I made the partitions go away, and recovered the full drive. Take that, Gremlins!:) The moral here is that if the first tool does not work, open up your box and get out the BFH (Big Frikkin Hammer):p
Actually, it was from the 90's, a bit older than I thought, but still chock full of good reading! I just finished "A Princess of Mars":cool:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts