This will be a short one...I Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
87 years old......the alcohol content has to be doing something good...

87 years old......the alcohol content has to be doing something good...
Not sure on that. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Health wise he's a zombie and intelligent is not in his mindset.
He's good hearted, but that don't flip the flapjacks.

Brother in law is dumber than a box of hair and believes anything the neighbor says.

Somewhat fortunately, I manage to avoid stupid people mostly.

Or at least I mostly avoid the most stupid people. I don't have much use for them. A neighbor's kid isn't that bright but that's because he has a brain injury.

Somewhat fortunately, I manage to avoid stupid people mostly.

Or at least I mostly avoid the most stupid people. I don't have much use for them. A neighbor's kid isn't that bright but that's because he has a brain injury.
Family or not, I hate dunks, and really hate drunks that drive.
I've reported him more than once to State Troopers (At that time I worked for Florida D.O.T. and knew quite a few of them.
They told me there was really nothing they could do until something happened (BS).
I told them he can hardly see, he has to read his mail with a magnifying glass.
They said that they don't test for close vision..only distant.
In other words, he could be driving in a drunken stupor at 90 mph and would be okay, because he couldn't read speedometer?
Makes no sense.

Meh... We live in the US. We have some of the worst drivers in advanced countries. I dunno how many of 'em are drunk, but that'd at least explain some of the driving I've seen.

I used to drive drunk when I was younger. I never got caught and never bumped into anything. However, I gave that up a long time ago. It was considered normal back then. The penalty wasn't even stiff. It was like a weekend in jail, if that. I don't even think they took your license for the first offense.

Which is how we ended up with MADD...

I do enjoy a glass of wine or three, but tend to not really get all that inebriated.

Meh... We live in the US. We have some of the worst drivers in advanced countries. I dunno how many of 'em are drunk, but that'd at least explain some of the driving I've seen.

I used to drive drunk when I was younger. I never got caught and never bumped into anything. However, I gave that up a long time ago. It was considered normal back then. The penalty wasn't even stiff. It was like a weekend in jail, if that. I don't even think they took your license for the first offense.

Which is how we ended up with MADD...

I do enjoy a glass of wine or three, but tend to not really get all that inebriated.
I agree. We also have the Snowbirds to deal with.
I too used to drive drunk, as you said it was the norm, especially in Wisconsin where I was born.
My first DUI I paid the cop $25 and drove uhh..home?
2nd one I got fingerprinted and I had to call a friend to get me...no fine or anything.
3rd and final time they towed my car & a $500 fine. Stopped drinking afterwards.
This was all while I was driving a '68 Z/28 that could do 140 mph. I was an idiot growing up. But was good memories.

I live in the Panhandle of Florida and where I am at most are helpful and friendly

I had an office in Panama City (on the crappy side of the inlet/bridge) and recently sold a house on the good side of the inlet. When down at the office, and I was still a working man then, I pretty much lived in the Econo Lodge right there on the strip. It was right across from the Omelet House.

We did pedestrian traffic modeling (mostly) there. We had a contract with a regional grocery store that was pretty lucrative.

In hindsight, I'm kinda surprised any of us survived to reach adulthood.
I am amazed that I did. I was pretty rough around the edges. Living in a rural town of about 250 people, not even a red light.
Nothing much to do but bale hay, drink and fight. I'd take off on a Friday and nobody saw/knew where I was.
One weekend a friend and I hitchhiker to go to Woodstock, that was when it was safe to hitchhike.
I was so bad my parents were wishing I'd get drafted and end up in Vietnam.
I got lucky, they had the draft then. July 23, 1953 was #365.

I got lucky, they had the draft then.

I was just young enough to avoid the draft. I used to take off every summer. My parents finally sent me to a fairly ritzy boarding/prep school. It wasn't that they were wealthy, I was a scholarship kid. I was just that badly behaved.

But, that gave me my love of learning. That's how I got to be where I am today, so I can't complain. That love of learning has served me well.

I was just young enough to avoid the draft. I used to take off every summer. My parents finally sent me to a fairly ritzy boarding/prep school. It wasn't that they were wealthy, I was a scholarship kid. I was just that badly behaved.

But, that gave me my love of learning. That's how I got to be where I am today, so I can't complain. That love of learning has served me well.

You did well. I just barely graduated high school with a .97 GPA, my thoughts were elsewhere. That was when the micromini skirts and hot pants were the thing. And no purple hair. Was a fun time. I enjoyed everything about it. Just not school.
We had a student smoking lounge my junior year, after that the anti smoking thing kicked in and life changed.
My first pack of cigarettes cost a quarter and I pumped gas at a Holiday gas station for just 9 cents a gallon. Full service with stamps. No mass shootings in school or anywhere, people had brains.

I live in the Panhandle of Florida and where I am at most are helpful and friendly
Some are, Yes. Some are the opposite, especially with that nifty saying about that's not how we do it up north. They can stay north then.

And flaunting their money.

News to me, did some shopping yesterday, yes we have a shortage of eggs [and other fowl products] this is due to a bad attack of bird flue that has decimated many of our poultry farms, and as a result prices are high, but I managed to pick up a box of 15 eggs, energy prices are outrageous across the whole of Europe so no use moaning about it,

Originally I am a Kentish man, married to a Lancashire Lass for 49 yrs, and now living in East Anglia, Before my final retirement I had a part-time job working for GME [Vauxhall/Opal] delivering all types of vehicles around the UK and often had to go to the Ellesmere Port factory [before that many years ago I used to buy bricks from the brickworks on the Wirral.]
Very cool, myself...always been a blue collar person. I did manage an RV resort for 7 years, that was cool. Best job pay & benefit wise was at a pasta sauce factory in Fairport, NY. Would still be there but New York was way to small for me & the ex.

Be it true, be it funny, be it a sad state of reality...

It is now that I don my moderator hat and point out that politics (and religion, and sexuality) are all off-topic here and discussion of any of those topics is not okay.

Don't worry. I won't jump on a ban button or anything silly like that. You're rapidly approaching the limit what that one - and the Trump one - so this is just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood mod.

And, yes, it can be REALLY hard to discuss things without politics, religion, or sexuality. That's fine. There are other sites where you're free to discuss those things until the cows come home.

But, they're off-topic here and that's a GOOD thing. It makes this site so much better. Trust me... So, so so soooooooooo much better.
No problem with that at all.
I agree, I realize that those topics aren't what this site is about. I've got places that I frequent to blow off steam.
I honestly didn't think I posted anything that sensitive positive or negative.
But I'm all good with the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online