This is interesting.....

I'm not too confident in Microsoft and their open source direction, or their commitment to better open source. I'll stick with Linux exclusively for my servers, thanks though Microsoft!

If Microsoft demands royalties from everyone using open source Linux platforms, they'd make a killing, which is why it was probably considered. Most servers are Linux after all. I'd like to see Microsoft try to demand this though, they'd be devastated and attacked by the Linux community (Reputation lost essentially).

Regardless, Microsoft has done a lot for computing, I just don't think Linux / Microsoft should share common interests because business angles are completely different. Microsoft being an entity, and Linux being a community, just won't work out. They'd be selling us a product / service, whereas we would be giving them freebies to no end.

That article was from 2012. What's new about this?

Are you referring to this article?

That reminds me of the fable of the Scorpion and the Frog. If you trust that nasty Scorpion, Mickey$oft, you deserve to get stung! ;^)

As for me, I'll stick to Non-.Net Linux systems!
Perhaps..... I just thought it was interesting..... :) But I didn't know it was THAT old.... XD

I'm not too confident in Microsoft and their open source direction, or their commitment to better open source. I'll stick with Linux exclusively for my servers, thanks though Microsoft!

If Microsoft demands royalties from everyone using open source Linux platforms, they'd make a killing, which is why it was probably considered. Most servers are Linux after all. I'd like to see Microsoft try to demand this though, they'd be devastated and attacked by the Linux community (Reputation lost essentially).

Regardless, Microsoft has done a lot for computing, I just don't think Linux / Microsoft should share common interests because business angles are completely different. Microsoft being an entity, and Linux being a community, just won't work out. They'd be selling us a product / service, whereas we would be giving them freebies to no end.
Yeah..... Give credit where credit is due..... :) As for Servers, I have yet to set up one yet, and on this Chromebook, with a 16GB SSD, yeah, that's NOT happening..... XD But I don't think they could seriously demand royalties, considering that they didn't even MAKE GNU/Linux..... :D I don't know, though..... I'm just shocked that I saw Open Source in the same sentence with Microsoft....... :D Man, I'm almost out of space on my Chromebook..... X( Maybe I should have gone with LXDE or XFCE instead of KDE..... :( But it's so JIGGLY and PLASMA-Y..... :D