Thinkpad T500 Power management

D

Dave67

I would like to throw this out there to get advice. My laptop is fine I am new to the power management on laptops. I was following a post of a member of the kubuntu forum I think he was the administrator of the forum. Right now the forum is down due to migration to another server or host. This went the way it did because I want to install thinkfan which I did as part of the post. Steve had this as a line in the grub. I tried the below command and watched the temps with thinkfan via shell. I found that after a few days of testing this the laptop got hotter not cooler. Not to hot but I felt that it was better than without the modifications so I took out the line. I was wondering if twinkling the settings could improve the cooling.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1"

This grub line now is

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="no splash"

Currently my temps are without mod below. I did notice that the fan was much slower with the modification code above but the HDD was hotter. I could feel it under the keyboard. I have to post on a PDF files if you would like to see the post since Kubuntu is still down I am using kubuntu 14.04.

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1: 2605 RPM
temp1: +98.6°F
temp2: +98.6°F
temp3: +87.8°F HDD right this minute 93.6 playing music amaok
temp5: +78.8°F
temp7: +78.8°F
temp9: +93.2°F
temp10: +102.2°F
temp11: +96.8°F

thanks

*Note: Those temperatures are normal. My Sandybridge i5 generally runs slightly hotter than your Core 2 Duo.

looking at the individual parameters:
Code:
acpi_os=linux
Modify list of supported OS interface strings
I don't think this parameter will really do anything.

Code:
pcie_aspm=force
Forcibly enable or disable PCIe Active State Power
This option maybe useful.

Code:
i915.i915_enable_rc6
This option can put the Intel graphics in a lower power state but may cause GPU hangs.

Code:
 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1
This option enables Frame compression. It may use less power but the cost could be issues with screen repainting.

Code:
i915.lvds_downclock=1
This option lowers the screens refresh rate. Which uses less power.

To lower heat production the most you should lower the CPU clock speed. If you set the CPU to conservative/powersave less heat is created.

For HDD temps you may want to enable Laptop Mode:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/laptops/laptop-mode.txt

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/install-laptop-mode-tools-164-with.html

Last edited:
Thanks
The second link is not active
I did find laptop-mode tools 1.64-1ubuntu1 (trusty) though synaptic. do not know if that would configured the same way or not.

I read some that document it gets into scripting hmm I am not that experience. When I was configuring the grub I got sweaty. Les just say if I wanted to save power with laptop mode what would the basic config be I would like idea. This is the first time I ever did this kind of configuration in Linux.

My kernel version is 3.13.0.43 generic or does that mater?

Thanks
The second link is not active
I did find laptop-mode tools 1.64-1ubuntu1 (trusty) though synaptic. do not know if that would configured the same way or not.

I read some that document it gets into scripting hmm I am not that experience. When I was configuring the grub I got sweaty. Les just say if I wanted to save power with laptop mode what would the basic config be I would like idea. This is the first time I ever did this kind of configuration in Linux.

My kernel version is 3.13.0.43 generic or does that mater?
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/install-laptop-mode-tools-164-with.html
fixed link.

No the kernel version does not matter in this case.

Members online

Latest posts