Thinkpad Levovo T420

darry1966

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys the above laptop is stuck in sleepmode tried unplugging battery and cord and no luck getting it out of the flashing power button mode to power on normally. Just goes into this state when browsing normally. Now can't get it out of this mode. Any thoughts can't find a reset button?????

Tried running on battery and powercord without battery with same result.

Running latest Peppermint OS and even tried Devuan both Debian based same result.

Last edited:

I don't know how to resolve the issue you have, but these thoughts occur to me: I fear that the T420 is a bit long in the tooth now ... could be a model from 2011, despite the good reputation these machines have. Since you've tried a number of things, what comes to mind is looking at the BIOS/UEFI and seeing if anything is available in the power management section related to the issues. I guess I'd install the latest BIOS/UEFI updates if that hasn't been done. I run a Lenovo T15 which is much more recent, but I don't use sleepmode or hibernation because I'm not that confident in the linux software reliability just yet having read tales of woe about it though I know it's supposed to work. There is a linux discussion list at Lenovo which may be able to help. That's about it. I hope you can resurrect it.

Any thoughts can't find a reset button?????
Maybe?

Tried running on battery and powercord without battery with same result.
With battery removed and no AC power, did you also hold power button down (as long as a minute) to drain stored power in capacitors? I found several reports that this worked, but not for everyone.

If none of the above work, I'd remove all power again and also remove the CMOS battery, leaving it out for some several minutes or so at least. You could also hold the power button again to try to ensure all voltages are drained down.

Like @NorthWest, I don't put much trust in sleep or hibernation features with Linux. If you get out of this, you might consider disabling them.

I hope you get it. Good luck!

A couple of people I found on Reddit also reported a similar problem after recently changing to a new SSD. Not immediately after, there was some period of time while it worked okay. If this might apply to you also, you could remove the SSD and try just booting on a USB with no hard drive.

Just fishing for ideas to snap your computer out of this fault. I would still try to remove the internal CMOS battery too, if you haven't already. Since your computer is a little older, it would worth the time to check the CMOS battery voltage also, and replace it if it is weak.

Don't know if this applies, but maybe --
Lenovo_SleepMode_fix01.jpg

Members online

No members online now.