Thinking Of Installing Virtualbox 7 In Mint 21.1.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
If you are then don't...unless you like not being able to install Flash Drive and using them.
m09002.gif

I did on a clean install of Cinnamon 21.1 and got the same result...when you go to Devices...USB...USB Settings and click it...it flashes up on the screen and then it's gone. If you go to Devices...USB and select your Flash Drive it wont work.

When you minimise the VM to the Panel and open a Terminal to type the command to add yourself to the vbox user group you can't type it in.
You think...what the hell is going on here...is it 21.1 or Virtualbox 7 ?
m09013.gif

I have both the Extension pack and Guest Additions installed for Virtualbox 7. So I uninstalled Virtualbox 7 and installed 6 with it's Extension pack (important) now Flash Drives work in both my VMs...here's Linux Lite 6.2...
Screenshot-2023-01-03-16-35-34.png

Note Linux Lite 6.2 uses Google Chrome instead of Firefox as the default Browser...maybe in a new version or update of Virtualbox this problem might be fixed who knows...hope this helps someone.
m1212.gif

If folks can't get 7 working and don't have an older version on hand, I've got a 6.1 version that I probably don't technically have the rights to distribute. I've never read the VBox ToS/license.

*coughs*

I could probably upload it for the purposes of backing it up for my own personal needs... Oracle won't mind!

But, I have 7.0 installed on Lubuntu 22.04 and it handles USB just fine. I can open, add, and use USB devices in the virtual VM with nary a problem.

EDIT:

Huh...

Nope... If anyone needs an older version, let me know. Sadly, I just deleted some older versions the other day, but they might be in some backups somewhere.

I can absolutely redistribute the binary.

You can get Virtualbox 6.1 which is supported from here...https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

The best thing about Virtualbox is...when I uninstalled 7 and installed 6.1 both my VMs were there and I didn't have to import or Re-Install them as you can see...
2023-01-04-14-47.png

I can't work out why this happened as I've never had this before...maybe a combination of 21.1 and Virtualbox 7.
t1827.gif

I have Virtualbox 6.0 in Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and everything works fine...even my old USB Printer...has anyone else had this problem with 21.1 and Virtualbox 7 ?

I just looked in Software Manager of LM 21.1, and it has Virtual Box-qt 6.1.38-dfsq-3-ubuntu122.01.1

I didn't have to import or Re-Install them as you can see...

LOL Yeah, I have VMs older than some folks installations. They don't even just get used in one place, I share the files over the network, so I can do things like spin up the same Fedora VM across all my devices.

They're interchangeable, as far as I know. I have VMs that I installed years ago and I still boot into them and keep them updated. They're one of the files I choose to keep backed up.

Alas, you can't do the same thing with VMware. Well, you can - but I mean you can't import VBox VMs into VMware. If you could do that, it'd be even more awesome.

I just looked in Software Manager of LM 21.1, and it has Virtual Box-qt 6.1.38-dfsq-3-ubuntu122.01.1

I always download from here...https://www.virtualbox.org/ and never update it from the Update Manager...did once long ago and it screwed things up.
t9403.gif

LOL Yeah, I have VMs older than some folks installations. They don't even just get used in one place, I share the files over the network, so I can do things like spin up the same Fedora VM across all my devices.

They're interchangeable, as far as I know. I have VMs that I installed years ago and I still boot into them and keep them updated. They're one of the files I choose to keep backed up.

Alas, you can't do the same thing with VMware. Well, you can - but I mean you can't import VBox VMs into VMware. If you could do that, it'd be even more awesome.

I always Export my VMs to an external HDD...so when I do a clean install ie 21.1 on a different SSD...I can Import them back.

I've never used VMware as Virtualbox is enough for me.
m0103.gif

Did you choose the USB3 or USB2 controller ?
I think I made it work by playing with that setting.
I installed 7.0 then removed it, now I don't remember a thing.:(

Did you choose the USB3 or USB2 controller ?
I think I made it work by playing with that setting.
I installed 7.0 then removed it, now I don't remember a thing.:(

I believe it's set to USB 2 by default...when it didn't work I tried USB 3 but unfortunately got the same result.
t2307.gif

I did on a clean install of Cinnamon 21.1 and
go to Devices...USB and select your Flash Drive it wont work.

When you minimise the VM to the Panel and open a Terminal to type the command to add yourself to the vbox user group you can't type it in.

I have both the Extension pack and Guest Additions installed for Virtualbox 7. So I uninstalled Virtualbox 7 and installed 6 with it's Extension pack (important) now Flash Drives work in both my VMs...here's Linux Lite 6.2...
Screenshot-2023-01-03-16-35-34.png

Note Linux Lite 6.2 uses Google Chrome instead of Firefox as the default Browser...maybe in a new version or update of Virtualbox this problem might be fixed who knows...hope this helps someone.
Many thanks. Good to know what very probably is to expect.
I am going to use the now (new) Linux Mint Mate 21.3, with VirtualBox.
First try with ´virtualbox 7.0.14 Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) for linux mint mate´, and the Extension Pack.
The Guest Additions is within the Extension Pack (VirtualBox 7.0.14, all platforms) Extension Pack?
(I abide the things that come there.)

I'm still using VirtualBox 6...works just fine. I have the USB controller set to USB 2 but USB 3 Flash Drives and my USB 3 portable 1TB SSD also work...so take your pick.

The Guest Additions allows you to run your VM in full screen mode...the Extension Pack allows you to use Flash Drives and a USB Printer/Scanner etc. I don't know if these things are now possible in VirtualBox 7...it may have been a bug when I tried it back then.
m1213.gif

I'm still using VirtualBox 6...works just fine. I have the USB controller set to USB 2 but USB 3 Flash Drives and my USB 3 portable 1TB SSD also work...so take your pick.

The Guest Additions allows you to run your VM in full screen mode...the Extension Pack allows you to use Flash Drives and a USB Printer/Scanner etc. I don't know if these things are now possible in VirtualBox 7...it may have been a bug when I tried it back then.
m1213.gif
Thank You. Good to know VB 6 works.
USB controller will have to be setted to 2.0, when the USB-port is 2.0. Even when the drives are 3.0 able.
Even USB-port - I speak here from: not in VM; maybe there different - 1.0 with USB-drives 2.0 and 3.0 have a good acceptable speed.
The Guest Additions are included with in the Extension Pack.
An extra download ´Guest Additions´ I still could not see.

If anybody is interessted in a reliable download for XP Prof. Corporate 64 Bit (with key), I can share a link here. If OK for the Forum here.

If anybody is interessted in a reliable download for XP Prof. Corporate 64 Bit (with key), I can share a link here. If OK for the Forum here.
Not unless Microsoft makes XP open source. Software piracy is frowned upon.

OK. Thanks. But then I really wonder, that archive.org can offer that download (64 Bit Corporate with key).

Last edited:
Wow, really?!?! Perhaps it would be okay then... but best to wait until one of the mods says yes or no, just to be on the safe side.

Members online