thinking of getting new PC: which hardware is most compattible with Linux in general????

hah, I don't really care, I think it's a better option than always reboot my pc. Like I said, I have done this before and just worked fine
Yes agreed, I just wanted to point that out since on some sub-reddits some people think that gaming on a Windows vm that has a Windows host counts as gaming on Linux.

@smooth_buddha Even though I already replied in this topic about your question here's something to keep in mind. I have been running Linux for about 12 years and 8-9 of those year I have I have been running Linux as my only os. Never in the time since I have started running Linux have I looked for hardware compatibility. I just buy what I want and so far all from what I remember all my hardware has worked, except for maybe the one thing I could have forgotten which I got working after a bit of searching. If you are buying mainstream hardware the chances are not very likely you will run into problems of something not working, since today there is more hardware support compared to when I started on my Linux journey.

Yes agreed, I just wanted to point that out since on some sub-reddits some people think that gaming on a Windows vm that has a Windows host counts as gaming on Linux.

@smooth_buddha Even though I already replied in this topic about your question here's something to keep in mind. I have been running Linux for about 12 years and 8-9 of those year I have I have been running Linux as my only OS. Never in the time since I have started running Linux have I looked for hardware compatibility. I just buy what I want and so far all from what I remember all my hardware has worked, except for maybe the one thing I could have forgotten which I got working after a bit of searching. If you are buying mainstream hardware the chances are not very likely you will run into problems of something not working, since today there is more hardware support compared to when I started on my Linux journey.
Actually, some Brand New hardware may need some time, before they are made compatible. I am thinking of new Graphic Cards etc.

Actually, some Brand New hardware may need some time, before they are made compatible. I am thinking of new Graphic Cards etc.
One of those exceptions I forgot about, if you buy an Nvidia and the card is out there will be Nvidia graphics drivers available and most likely packaged by most distributions. Last year when I bought my RX 6700XT the day of release it didn't work out of the box, I had to install linux-firmware-git and mesa-git in order to get it properly working. A few months later I was able to use the normal firmware and mesa package. I just wanted to give OP an idea how often I have had something not working since I started using Linux but good one to point out as an example.

Even though I already replied in this topic about your question here's something to keep in mind. I have been running Linux for about 12 years and 8-9 of those year I have I have been running Linux as my only os. Never in the time since I have started running Linux have I looked for hardware compatibility. I just buy what I want and so far all from what I remember all my hardware has worked,
Same here. The one exception has been wifi cards. But I usually try to buy Intel based wifi cards.
Not because I love intel, but because the drivers are almost always there.

I just add 'Linux' to the search when I deal with wireless stuff. So far, this has had a 100% success ratio.

Other than that, I don't bother. I just figure everything else is gonna work.

You do have a tremendous number of options, i personally recommend getting something pre-built WORKING desktop at the moment in the $600 range, you could get an alienware laptop but i just don't trust it and they are very expensive. If your graphics card is not good enough, get a new one. Here's my current desktop build and it works just fine, i only have problems with the software. This works so well i've just bought the standard ATX version of this mobo and a similar processor to replace my busted old windows desktop:

-Rog strix B550-I gaming motherboard

-Ryzen 5600G

-G.Skill DDR4 RAM (16GB single stick)

-Inwin case with built in 150watt power supply for specifically mini-ITX cases.

-Samsung EVO 2TB M.2 hard drive stick...these are faster than your standard SATA SSD drive and compact/neato.

-nocturna low-profile fan

They make carrying cases for micro-atx cases, this whole machine could fit in a 2 small backpacks....EDIT: the desktop can easily fit in any small/standard backpack, peripherals with the small monitor i have now (not in picture below) could fit in another...

I would not recommend emulating this build since you seem to want a to game and a graphics card would not fit in this case. A picture of my build can be found in this thread:

Also, this is very important, beware of every other motherboard that uses the AM4 sockets, many of them do not have an updated BIOS, and flashing the BIOS doesn't always work, i've been driving back and fourth to a computer parts store for finding simply a motherboard and processor combo that work, fingers crossed trying this next one today, using a B550-F Rog strix. Do your research before buying ANYTHING, i blame the pandemic era for this failure in manufacturing, other people have been having different problems with computer parts as well, today is a bad climate to build a computer. Just buy something prebuilt that already works and customize!

I just decided to use my homeserver with a Gaming VM. I have a HP Microserver gen 8 with Intel Xeon. It should have space for a Nvidia Geforce 1050ti low Profile. Together with Parasec I'd be able to stream from my Linux Laptops.
In other words I just found a way to save 800€ for a Medicore Gaming experience. My Microserver is mostly just a NAS which hosts a (LXC) pihole, git and wiki as well as backups. 2 vcores should be enough for these tasks, leaving 6 vcores for gaming

You do have a tremendous number of options, i personally recommend getting something pre-built WORKING desktop at the moment in the $600 range, you could get an alienware laptop but i just don't trust it and they are very expensive. If your graphics card is not good enough, get a new one. Here's my current desktop build and it works just fine, i only have problems with the software. This works so well i've just bought the standard ATX version of this mobo and a similar processor to replace my busted old windows desktop:

-Ryzen 5600G

-Samsung EVO 2TB M.2 hard drive stick...these are faster than your standard SATA SSD drive and compact/neato.

They make carrying cases for micro-atx cases, this whole machine could fit in a 2 small backpacks....EDIT: the desktop can easily fit in any small/standard backpack, peripherals with the small monitor i have now (not in picture below) could fit in another...

I would not recommend emulating this build since you seem to want a to game and a graphics card would not fit in this case. A picture of my build can be found in this thread:

Also, this is very important, beware of every other motherboard that uses the AM4 sockets, many of them do not have an updated BIOS, and flashing the BIOS doesn't always work, i've been driving back and fourth to a computer parts store for finding simply a motherboard and processor combo that work, fingers crossed trying this next one today, using a B550-F Rog strix. Do your research before buying ANYTHING, i blame the pandemic era for this failure in manufacturing, other people have been having different problems with computer parts as well, today is a bad climate to build a computer. Just buy something prebuilt that already works and customize!
nice setup you have there. Im not specifically after something for gaming but rather i see gaming rigs as "powerful all around pcs" if i upgrade i was after something fast (good ram and good processor) and a decent graphics card with a motherboard that can be upgraded so that i can add to it in the future if i need more ram, better gpu or whatever

-Ryzen 5600G

I had my eye on one of those system76, thelio model like here: https://system76.com/desktops/thelio
builds, but i dont think they currently shipping to the uk :-(

also found this british company that make linux desktops and laptps. these look pretty good, unfortunately few models out of stock at mo!

They do ship to the UK.
However you are going to pay more compared to a local hardware seller because of shipping and customs as well as paying for the brand name.
yes your correct they ship worldwide but currently on there shipping page they say:
Thelio is currently only available to ship in North America

nice setup you have there. Im not specifically after something for gaming but rather i see gaming rigs as "powerful all around pcs" if i upgrade i was after something fast (good ram and good processor) and a decent graphics card with a motherboard that can be upgraded so that i can add to it in the future if i need more ram, better gpu or whatever
yeah, it cost me around $950 for the parts...if you buy exactly what i told you, AND you just do vintage gaming on linux, you will have everything you need! Too bad about you living in the UK though, there's gotta be someplace in your local city that has computer parts available. Go check your local pawn shops, they tend to have pre-built computers that someone sold to them. MAKE SURE that they turn it on for you first with display if you go that route.

Update: i just hooked up my new B550-F mobo, needs a BIOS update *smh*. Wish me luck.

yes your correct they ship worldwide but currently on there shipping page they say:
Thelio is currently only available to ship in North America
I was wanting to buy a system76 system at one point but for what I wanted it would have cost me quite a bit more compared to how much it would cost if I just ordered parts here where I live.

I was wanting to buy a system76 system at one point but for what I wanted it would have cost me quite a bit more compared to how much it would cost if I just ordered parts here where I live.
yeah because i ahvnt bought a pc in years or even looked at parts, i feel im so out of touch with prices so im having to do a bit of looking around!

update: i get a display with my graphics card, nice. Very weird to me that the B550-I has an up-to-date BIOS and NONE of the other AM4 "5000 Ready" mobos do...

old computer working again: display works with graphics card, USB slots [hence internet with hotspot] all functioning properly and windows updated itself to work with my new hardware. Old hard-drives and DVD/Blueray drive operational. I remember the HDMI slot on my old motherboard stopped working at one point as well, thankfully i have an "old" NVIDIA graphics card...oh and this CPU is running nice and cool said 20C on the BIOS screen, i think the current weather is contributing haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online