thinking of getting new PC: which hardware is most compattible with Linux in general????

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
Looking to eventually upgrade to a more powerful pc desktop and was wondering are there specific brands/hardware that work better with linux than others.
I seen somewhere that AMD was prefured in some cases.
Would love to hear any thoughts or experienc with new hardware with linux.

I will most likely be running Debian and Arch linux/Arco inux

You'll get a lot of opinions, But my choice would be Dell or Lenovo. That being said if you have the funds System 76 has a nice lineup of Linux compatible computers. There are others you may want to look at also and it may depend upon where you are located. Dell Lenovo System 76 and here is a page that lists 13 Linux computer vendors Some are laptop only but many sell both Linux computers A couple things I try to stay away from 1. realtek wifi cards can be a bear to get going. Some AMD graphics card can be problematic also. Stay away from the very cutting edge of Hardware as Linux kernel takes awhile to catch up with the hardware with drivers, etc. Good luck on your search I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

Get this system, just kidding what are you doing to be doing with your PC?

Are you looking for system that is already put together or are you wanting to order the parts yourself as well as putting it together yourself?

Are you looking for system that is already put together or are you wanting to order the parts yourself as well as putting it together yourself?
Im more in favour of getting a ready built one, just because if i build one up i can forsee hardware-software comaptibality issues

And what type of games are you wanting to play?

I bought a lovely MSI laptop for like 700 bucks with an NVMe, 32 GB of RAM, an 8 core CPU, and it's actually just install and go - not one single extra driver to install. I use it to do a daily Lubuntu test and it does that job like a champion.

I bought a lovely MSI laptop for like 700 bucks with an NVMe, 32 GB of RAM, an 8 core CPU, and it's actually just install and go - not one single extra driver to install. I use it to do a daily Lubuntu test and it does that job like a champion.
Wow 32 gig of ram. That’s a beast

Wow 32 gig of ram. That’s a beast

I don't buy anything with less. Even 32 GB can be a bit constraining when you spin up some virtual machines. So, 32 GB is the least amount of RAM I'll buy these days. (I do have an older system with 16 GB of RAM, which is also used for testing. I will also only buy a device with an NVMe from here on out - until something faster comes along. With an NVMe, you can install Linux in just a few minutes. It's insane - literally a few minutes.

Im more in favour of getting a ready built one, just because if i build one up i can forsee hardware-software comaptibality issues
To be hones I haven't checked for hardware compatibility in long time, I don't think I even did when I started with Linux. Since you're not a big gamer and I don't know what your budget is I would probably buy one of these.
You can always add an extra disk later if you need it and replace the graphics card for a better one.

Last edited:
To be hones I haven't checked for hardware compatibility in long time, I don't think I even did when I started with Linux. Since you're not a big gamer and I don't know what your budget is I would probably buy one of these.
You can always add an extra disk later if you need it and replace the graphics card for a better one.

thanks for that, they look beasts! I havnt looked into getting new hardware in ages! since playing with y raspbery pi 4 , its re sparked my love for desktop/pcs again. KGIII inspired me to get some meaty ram i would like to get 32GIG ram or higher if i can afford it

i would like to get 32GIG ram or higher if i can afford it

These days, I wouldn't want anything less.

And the NVMe... I'm not kidding about the 'few minutes.'

I should record it, but I don't really feel like reinstalling. Basically, do all the setup and then click the final install button - and it literally takes a few minutes before you're being asked to reboot. Like under 4 minutes for a Lubuntu installation. That's how fast it can write to the drive (from USB3).

These days, I wouldn't want anything less.

And the NVMe... I'm not kidding about the 'few minutes.'

I should record it, but I don't really feel like reinstalling. Basically, do all the setup and then click the final install button - and it literally takes a few minutes before you're being asked to reboot. Like under 4 minutes for a Lubuntu installation. That's how fast it can write to the drive (from USB3).
thats crazy fast!

thats crazy fast!

I know! It blew my mind. It was so fast that I did it a second time.

Read/Write rates on M.2 NVMe SSDs (they're still SSDs) are amazing. The contrast is huge. The difference is so great that I'll never buy anything but those again - until something faster comes along. So far, I have just the one - and don't need any new devices, but you can be sure the next ones will have that tech. Heck, the one I have is a Kingston something or or other and isn't even the fastest NVMe out there - there are others that have higher read/write rates.

Selection_060.png

It's not unmounted so I can't show the write rate.

I'm in the middle of saving money for a Gaming PC. But I have special needs. I want to make a GamingVM via PCIe Passtrough. I want to run Debian Stable on the host OS and when I want, poweron my VM for gaming. I did this some years ago, but I don't have this hardware anymore.

Do I need Special Hardware?

I have sth. like this in mind

The best advice I can give you is to read this article

I want to make a GamingVM via PCIe Passtrough.
You know that game on a vm running Windows does not count as gaming on Linux right, unless that vm will be running another Linux distribution :)

You know that game on a vm running Windows does not count as gaming on Linux right, unless that vm will be running another Linux distribution :)
hah, I don't really care, I think it's a better option than always reboot my pc. Like I said, I have done this before and just worked fine

Members online