These files are on "Picture CD" - "how to fix it" instruction

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I thought a lot about writing this instruction because it may seem lame to many people. But then I thought this could help anyone with the same problem and spare them from the 6 years of search how to fix it. Or maybe even help Linux gain a new fan who was using Windows until that moment. But then again I should write it anyway - if it helps even one person, it would be worthy.

So, you just installed your first distro and when you tried to play your music, there was a problem along with a message bar standing on top of Nemo and reading something similar to "These files are not readable, they are on Picture CD".
The reason for this message is a plugin contained within a program that detects you have a "Pictures" or "Images" directory on the drive in question and for this reason the plugin thinks your drive is a CD, containing images. A really, really dumb logic but there isn't much you can do to fight that logic, except for one thing.
So, don't be rush to kick Linux's arse, there's an easy way to fix it and get rid of that message.

1. Simply look to the left part of that message bar - there's the name of the program causing it. I know of Brasero and Pix but there might be others I never heard of. Anyway, see the program name.
2. Open the Menu and in the search box start typing the program name. Usually the first 3 or 4 characters are enough for Linux to show you the searched program.
3. Right click on the displayed program, select "Uninstall" and confirm that you agree when asked.

And that's it. Now all you have to do is restart Nemo, Dolphin or whatever your distro's file manager is named.

Also, don't worry about uninstalling that program. If it's Brasero, you can always replace it with its better alternative - K3b. If it's Pix, you can either use the integrated GIMP or my prefered alternatives to Pix and GIMP - KolourPaint (not kolourpaint4) and Pinta.

Members online

No members online now.