There's no new article at Linux Tips today. In fact, there will never be more articles at that domain. The site is moving.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
In this, I explain why the site is moving, where it is moving to, and give an estimate of how long it'll take.

This is a Good Thing®, but it's a bunch of work and going to take about a week - I suspect. I'd like to get it done sooner, but I'm giving myself a week to do it just in case that whole real life thing gets in the way.

is the hosting the same, in which case its simply a case of pointing new domain to the same hosting space?

is the hosting the same, in which case its simply a case of pointing new domain to the same hosting space?

It could be. In fact, I could just migrate the entire thing (it's WordPress) with a quick change of the database, but I'm opting to rebuild it from scratch.

I'll cheat and import a ton of settings, but I've decided to redo it from page one. It shouldn't be all that much work.

i only ask since normally population of a new domain , domain name server population and all that only takes 24 hours

Oh, the domain has already propagated. I just need to finish building out the site's backbone and then I can resume publication - as well as touching up older articles for the new site. The URL should already work for everyone. https://linux-tips.us is the new home.

propagation has reached sub Sahara then

Attachments

• Hello_world.png
    Hello_world.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 215
Sweet! I use this site:

Pleeeeease tell me that you'll keep the "smash a button" thing...

Pleeeeease tell me that you'll keep the "smash a button" thing...

I'll make it a point to keep that, just for you.

I'm looking forward to moving it to its new home. It gives me the chance to correct some errors made building out the existing site. It's just a whole lot like work.

I'll keep it, but don't forget to smash a button when you read an article!

I'm excited for the new home, but I'm also drinking wine. So, as much as I'd like to go work on the site, I really don't think I should do it while sipping wine. That's how the last site ended up bloated. This time, I know what features people use, so there's that.

Hmm...

I shouldn't, but I may go ahead and do some tinkering on the site tonight! In the morning, I can fix all my mistakes!

Emails should hopefully bypass the spam filters. I got a 'perfect' 10/10, so it's up to the major companies to let me through their spam filters - even though I've never sent a spammy message in my life. I dislike being beholden to them. One of the great things about being retired is being beholden to nobody.

Selection_090.png

Which website is that, where you got a 10/10?

It's one of my favorite online tools.

Getting that 10/10 took a while, but less time than it took me before. There was no way a .gq domain was ever getting through email filters. The .us stands a slim chance, but a better chance than before.

Thanks! I got a 10/10 as well :)

Last edited:
I had to make some infrastructure changes, as it was using PHP's mail() function. That's a pretty big one, so I changed it to SMTP. Then I did the rest of my DKIM setup and it hit the 10/10. The big one was SMTP and then ensuring everything obeyed it.

I pulled an all-nighter, which was stupid because I have things to do this morning, and have pretty much finished the site - backbone only, not one iota of new content but that's the 'easy' part.

This is some 54 Plugins - all configured except one (the SEO plugin) that can't be configured until after I write my first article. (I don't want to waste the time setting it up and then having to go in and change it to say that I've published.)

Speed:

Selection_093.png

Function/Correctness:

Selection_092.png

Which is one of the reasons why I wanted to redo the entire thing from the ground up. I learn by doing and, well, I'm not a web developer nor a WordPress guru. The chance to rebuild and do it right? That's well worth the cost of a new domain name.

I've even tested everything - I think... It's as close to bug-free as I can make it (without more testing/time).

The other site has 111 plugins and 80 of 'em active. It was a hot mess of tangled code that wasn't ever gonna get fixed. I'm kinda amazed that it worked.

A+ :cool:

I even set up HSTS Preload as like my first step.

Selection_094.png

Staff online

Members online