The whole process.....

zugzwang_baby

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, I am very new at all this Linux stuff. I am actually going to college for Cybersecurity but thats beside the point because I am not very good at all this. I have a Dell chromebook that was running Windows10. I performed an update on it and when it restarted it came up to this Other Users account. well I ended up not being able to login to my account. So I tried to make a bootable Linux USB (it took me 4 days to do). I got the laptop booted in Linux but now that I am trying to install it on my hard drive, it always ends up coming to errors. could someone please tell me step by step how to do it. i will put all the error codes i got. Error: The repository 'cdrom://Linus Mint 21 _Vanessa_ - Release amd64 20220726 jammy release' does not have a release file

You will have to disable windows quick start in the BIOS also secure boot and re-start before you try installing Linux
see my signature.. How do i install Linux

Chrome books can be very difficult to install Linux on depending on the hardware and disc size. Several questions arise when you say it took you 4 days to burn an ISO image of Mint. Where did you download the Mint image and what burning tool did you use? How big is the Hd in that machine. you will need at least 30 Gbs for good operation.

Well for starters I should have been blonde because I have no common sense so bare with me. I used LinuxUSBcreator and got the image from Linux Mint website. I was locked out of my chromebook so I had to use the dinosaur to make the USB which is probably why it took so long. The specs for my chromebook and the dinosaur are below. Btw I really need my chromebook to be operable because its how I attended school.
Dell chromebook:
Processor 2.6 GHz
16 GB storage, 4GB memory (also have a snow bell USB with 32 GB available)
Resolution 1366 x 768

HP Pavilion from 2000
1.8 GHz
256MB RAM 40GB
Win98se

this page may be of help to you. It talks about ubuntu but should also work for Mint.
Good luck.

The Hp will not work with a modern Linux distro, but my work with a very light weight distro may be puppy, antix and there are others.
the factor with that would be the 256 mb ram. that's no where near what would be needed for most modern desktops.

16 GB storage,
There is your first problem, not enough HDD space for a full-fledged distribution [at least 20gb needed to be efficient,] so a smaller lighter distribution is needed, I suggest you try, Debian with driver pack, Sparky Linux, Lubuntu, Kubuntu,Linux Lite,Mint LMDE5 with XFCE desktop, to name a few

Do I use rufus? I tried to download it but Idk. Should I use github? My laptop keeps crashing. Also for starters the person i got it from had done work on it. Like changing it from chrome to windows 10. Is there a command for terminal that I could use to tell me exactly whats wrong like why it keeps telling me there is no cdrom release jammy folder or file or something

Ballantine Etcher is better for burning ISO to USB with Linux,
download one of the lighter distributions i have listed, [first try MintLMDE5] make sure you have fulfilled the instructions in my first post then follow my guide how do i install [link below]
then let us know what's happening

Definately use Etcher. Found here.

They have an appimage that will work across OS's.
But you will need to do something about the 16gb drive. It's simply not big enough to run a modern Linux distro. you need 20-30 gbs for a full install. The Crouton release was specifically made for Chromebooks. But I believe it's not being developed any longer. Good luck with your venture.

not big enough to run a modern Linux distro.
Linux lite is only 8gb but as we know , not always easy to install, Peppermint will fit [I have it on an acer with 16gb drive] most of those I have listed should fit, but it leaves little for storage or extra applications

addendum, my peppermint is less than 10gb

@zugzwang_baby

Just had a thought, as you wish to take up cybersecurity you could try Parrot security, but I will warn you now, like all pentesting distributions you are expected to have a full understanding of Linux and how the terminal works and its basic commands, It will just fit on 16gb, So you will have to save your work to an external drive [usb pen-drive] or you can try the Home edition to learn the basics of how Linux works by using it as a daily drive [other pentesting distributions are not really suitable as a daily desktop]
we welcome professionals and budding professionals [ethical hackers] but not blatant hackers.

Members online

Latest posts