The Very 1st Linux OS Ever Made?

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
What was the very 1st Linux OS ever made? Are there any pictures of it?

I was going to say Slackware but apparently Yggdrasil Linux/GNU/X is slightly older.
Yggdrasil announced their ‘bootable Linux/GNU/X-based UNIX(R) clone for PC compatibles on 24 November 1992 and made the first release on 8 December 1992
Since its first beta release in April of 1993, the Slackware Linux Project has aimed at producing the most "UNIX-like" Linux distribution out there.

Interesting question. There could very well be some older obscure ones.

Very good question thanks Eddie.
I can't tell you what the first version looks like - I suspect that there is no hardware to run anymore.

But I can say Linux is not an OS. Linux is an OS kernel.

Linux never did and still has not ever created a whole operating system. He(Linus Torvalds) simply created the kernel, and then all the tools necessary to enable that kernel to do any useful work came from GNU. The combination of GNU plus Linux together make a complete operate system.

It took people like Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds, plus a gajillion (mostly) nameless coders and testers to make Linux/BSD operating systems, utilities, and applications. There is no one Linux, no one BSD, and no one countless other open source systems.

I remember wandering around Akihabara in Tokyo a long time ago. I found myself on the 6th floor somewhere in a computer bookstore looking at a stapled booklet with a CD. It was SLS Linux, I think. Previously I had tried to install Linux the "30 floppies" way and had gotten nowhere. SLS was my first taste of Linux.

Last edited:

Members online