The Sun has spit out a whole bunch of energy...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's not quite like what a CME would be, but rather more like a solar burp. To put that in perspective, a solar sneeze would seriously mess up our society. A burp is not a problem. We'll be just fine.

It's only hit a K Index value of 7 or so and will hit the planet Earth around Friday and Saturday (using UTC).

So, what does this mean? It means those folks closer to the poles may experience some aurora borealis (australis for folks on the other half of the planet). Because of the solar energy, folks at higher latitudes (closer to the equator) may experience the Northern or Southern Lights.

I've been monitoring this since yesterday, using this page:

(See that big 'hole', dark spot, on the Sun? That's the burp.)

Not wanting to leave out those elsewhere, I found this site - and don't know if there are better options for you folks:

(Folks in NZ, at least the South Island, appear to be in the zone where it's very probable that they'll see the lights, assuming they have clear skies.)

I am, of course, covered in clouds and will probably not get to see the lights this time around. I'll scour the web for a live feed and hope for a bit of cloud-clearing. I am still going to be optimistic. We get the Northern Lights sometimes, so I've experienced it before - but it's always fun to see them again. Our magnetosphere is a pretty fortunate thing, though I suppose that's probably pretty common in the universe. Ah well...

Seeing them reminds me of how frail our existence is and how reliant we are on dumb luck as a species.

It means that HF radio (Ham Radio) is pretty much dead for the next few days. Although there were a few openings to Europe yesterday but signals were weak and fluttery.

It means that HF radio (Ham Radio) is pretty much dead for the next few days.

I hadn't even thought of that aspect.

I hadn't even thought of that aspect.
Usually when you hear flutter on HF signals it is a sign that there may be Northern lights. Unfortunately we have been overcast the last few days so no opportunity to look. Your more likely to see them up your way than we are down in the Southern part of the state. Northern lights forcaster.
If it clears you may see them tonight. I'm usually sound asleep by the time they are visible here :)

Members online