The State of LUGs around the world - Your experiences

Looked here in NZ - Groups seemed to have gone online since the Covid thing happened. Here in Canterbury - Christchurch being the nearest group they have cancelled the meetings due re-purposing of the Sydenham library. No Software Freedom Day.

This makes me think that the experience of meeting others is now gone - online is not quite the same as meeting in person. Humans are social creatures after all. This makes forums like this even more important.
COVID has permanently changed the nature of social interactions for sure, it pushed everything to being more reliant on the internet. Idk if it's good or bad overall, but it's very different.

that's not too far, but the A47 can be a right pig at times
@Brickwizard :-

Tell me about it. Especially the South Brink, between Wisbech & Guyhirn.....around rush-hour (morning OR evening, makes NO difference).

Stuff of nightmares, mate.....even more so when one idiot HGV driver decides he's going to try & overtake another, with yet more coming in the other direction. Sheesh...

(Remember; this is a single-carriageway, at least 15 feet above the surrounding farmland on one side.....with a drop straight into the Nene on the other, and NO barriers. I've seen some near misses along there over the years, I can tell you!)

Mike. :rolleyes:

Looked here in NZ - Groups seemed to have gone online since the Covid thing happened. Here in Canterbury - Christchurch being the nearest group they have cancelled the meetings due re-purposing of the Sydenham library. No Software Freedom Day.

This makes me think that the experience of meeting others is now gone - online is not quite the same as meeting in person. Humans are social creatures after all. This makes forums like this even more important.
I'm not surprised at that, TBH. Your lot were very "isolationist" during COVID, weren't they? Closed the borders down HARD, and refused to come out & "play" with any of the neighbour's kids for well over 2 years.

Have things been relaxed to any appreciable degree? I can see such an attitude creating permanent social changes, BIG time....especially since nobody had a clue as to how long it was all going to last at that time.

Real shame. We've got several Aussies & Kiwis on the Puppy Forums, as you well know.....and some of the conspiracies that were being "floated" during the first year or so of the pandemic would curl your hair. And when the first vaccines were being trialled, the theories just got crazier & crazier; one of your countrymen swore blind the NZ govt was planning on arresting the antivaxxers, strapping them down and forcibly injecting them!

Err.......ri-ight. Weird. Enough of that, I think; I've no wish to keep chewing the fat over all THAT.

Mike. :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah Covid was is a crazy time Mike. Amazing how lockdowns create the habit of only meeting through social media. That is not a replacement. Again we are meant to be and thrive on social interaction,

Started an FB page here to try an improve NZ support included this forum as a link. Things sure have gone backwards since the 90's when Linux started - there was quite a few active LUGS.

I would love to see all the linux users meet IRL :)

UPDATE: Im going to contact my local LUG in order to join them :) - I've also found out that they also have partnerships with the University of my city and several local high schools. It would be great if we could make some kind of conference in my school

Members online

Latest posts