The Problems With The Wireless Network Adapter

N

Nikitayang

My computer has a wireless network adapter inside, but at present it can't work. I guess it needs a driver program. At present, the adapter can neither work nor be shown in the system. I even cannot see the port number or the MAC address of the adapter. In another word, the adapter cannot be tested or sensed by the system. So how can I get a proper driver program? My computer's model is Lenovo ThinkPad L440. The wireless adapter is Intel branded and it is fixed on the motherboard. The system version is Xubuntu-14.04(64bit). If you can, please send me the driver program and teach me how to install.

Thanks!

Pleae give us the output of the terminal command
Code:
lspci

I typed the word "lspci" in the Terminal and it replied with following word:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)
00:01.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM86 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
05:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
0b:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5227 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

And then I typed only "lspci | grep Network" in the Terminal, it replied with the following words:
05:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

From these information we can know that the wireless adapter is detected by the computer system but isn't working properly. We can also know the producer of the adapter---Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

Some other hardwares is not working properly, too. But, fortunately, the problems of other hardwares haven't brung any trouble for me. I even hadn't discover those problems until I typed "lspci" for the first time.

Now, we should let the adapter start to work. But how to do this? Please help me.

Thanks!

The RTL8192EE device does have driver support in the kernel; I don't recall if it's still in staging (working but not necessarily ready for prime time) or the main tree. The next thing to do is to see if you've got the right driver module installed. You could try:

Code:
dmesg | grep -i rtl8192

and see if there was an attempt to load the module. That may also give a clue to what went wrong.

I typed "dmesg | grep -i rtl8192" in the terminal, but nothing replied at all.
It just like this:
nikita@nikita-yang:~$ dmesg | grep -i rtl8192
nikita@nikita-yang:~$

So what's wrong with it?

I typed dmesg in the Terminal and it showed the information in the attached file.

Attachments

• dmesg information.txt
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,530
Looks doubly bad.

1) The RTL8192EE isn't supported at the moment.

2) Lenovo have imposed difficult conditions about changing the wifi card. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

Far out solutions involve breaking the warranty by flashing the BIOS http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General...rd-BIOS-whitelists-Lenovo-COME-ON/td-p/952681

I think that the easiest way forward might be to get a USB wifi stick (preferably one that works out-of-the-box, without the need for any driver) and plug that into the laptop...

So you ran the "ifconfig" command?
if so the output should have been wlan0 or wlan1

if you did not get any output try: ifconfig wlan0 up then run the "ifconfig" command again wlan0 or wlan1 may appear. If not :

then try it with ifconfig wlan1 up then run the "ifconfig" command. After this if there is still no wireless interface showing you may want to consider an external adapter while you try to resolve the problem with Lenovo. Good luck.

So you ran the "ifconfig" command?
if so the output should have been wlan0 or wlan1

if you did not get any output try: ifconfig wlan0 up then run the "ifconfig" command again wlan0 or wlan1 may appear. If not :

then try it with ifconfig wlan1 up then run the "ifconfig" command. After this if there is still no wireless interface showing you may want to consider an external adapter while you try to resolve the problem with Lenovo. Good luck.
This won't help since the chipset is not supported in the 3.13 kernel that Ubuntu 14.04 is using.

Oh, ok thanks. So what about the option of the external wifi adapter? Could one be chosen that is compatible with the 3.13 kernel?

Well, if you're up for a little compiling (not everyone's cup of tea, I know) you can download driver code from Realtek's site.

woaaa, i also get this problem.
so bad, chipset is not supported

You can buy a cheap wireless plug and play usb adapter from the company that make the Pi for £5.99, unfortunately I can't link it due to my post number but google it, much better than flashing your bios if your unsure about it.

(The adapter is 802.11n MIMO so not too bad at all either!)

Members online