The Phoenix Rises.....

B

blackneos940

Hey everyone..... I'm back, and I'm sorry I've been away for so long..... :( You know what happened.... I may believe in Heaven, but that doesn't ease the pain much.... Love never dies, and all that..... I'm starting to get out more, and am going to eat store-bought Sushi in town tomorrow..... :3 I'm also getting better at Programming, and have started on a File Aggregator, that moves files ANYWHERE you want them to be..... :) (Well, at least in your Home Folder....... :p) Anywho, how are you all doing.....? I got a Cell Phone (with Android.... What else....?? :3), and I put Python and Ruby, and a Terminal on it, among other things..... :) Also, I want to make an Operating System..... Do I need to know C and Assembly, to start with.....? :) I want to make this thing, in honor of my Dad (who, ironically, was not into Technology very much at ALL..... :D) Of course, it'll be FOSS..... :3 Also, I may forgo using the Linux Kernel in all of this..... Not that I dislike it, however..... Just.... I wanna see how skilled I am..... :3 Take care of yourselves..... Ok...? :'3

Hey! Glad to see you're back!

I'm not into building an OS from scratch myself, but have you heard of Linux From Scratch before? I have thought about trying that before but just don't have enough time to read, and learn, and play with it. It seems like it might be just the "instruction manual" you're looking for. It is currently being revised so that you could choose to work with either systemd or SysV init systems. Check it out at: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Cheers!

I'm taking an OS course at the moment, really enjoying it. Linux from scratch is awesome!

I had similar thoughts in the past. Years ago, I bought and read The Magic Garden Explained by Berny Goodheart and James Cox. This is an overview of the internals for System 5 release 4 of UNIX. Not exactly Linux, but the same foundation.

Call me overwhelmed. I got the concepts, but getting into the C code for the core of memory management, process management and paging / swapping, etc. I quickly realized this was more than I wanted to get involved with. I read the book to the end, but did not focus on understanding all the code samples - I became more interested in the concepts rather than the specifics.

"These days", you can take the kernel from someone else, pull in a software management system, layer on some stuff, and bingo - you have a Linux distribution. OK, I am oversimplifying it, but still.

Great project you are looking at - I wish you well. I had to give up that dream a long time ago - my job did not allow for that type of work, and this would have all been on me for very little benefit, so I went in another direction. I often wished I had dug a bit deeper into this, but the benefit just wasn't there for me.

I'm not into building an OS from scratch myself, but have you heard of Linux From Scratch before? I have thought about trying that before but just don't have enough time to read, and learn, and play with it. It seems like it might be just the "instruction manual" you're looking for. It is currently being revised so that you could choose to work with either systemd or SysV init systems. Check it out at: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Cheers!
Yeah, I heard about it..... :3 Maybe I'll get started THERE, then, as I thought to BEFORE!..... :D I imagine building my own Distro will help me on the road to Integrity OS..... :D But honestly, I don't care about competing, or anything..... I would be happy just knowing that a lot of people might end up using it one day..... As for me, it would exist along side all the OTHER *nix Machines in my arsenal!..... ^^ :3

I'm taking an OS course at the moment, really enjoying it. Linux from scratch is awesome!
Oooh, really.....? :3 How far along are you.....? :D Man, I really need to know where you find all these awesome places to go study at..... :D Where I live, I could go to a certain Linux Company in Raleigh, in less than a day or so, but..... It's WAY too far away to go EVERY day..... :\

Last edited:
I had similar thoughts in the past. Years ago, I bought and read The Magic Garden Explained by Berny Goodheart and James Cox. This is an overview of the internals for System 5 release 4 of UNIX. Not exactly Linux, but the same foundation.

Call me overwhelmed. I got the concepts, but getting into the C code for the core of memory management, process management and paging / swapping, etc. I quickly realized this was more than I wanted to get involved with. I read the book to the end, but did not focus on understanding all the code samples - I became more interested in the concepts rather than the specifics.

"These days", you can take the kernel from someone else, pull in a software management system, layer on some stuff, and bingo - you have a Linux distribution. OK, I am oversimplifying it, but still.

Great project you are looking at - I wish you well. I had to give up that dream a long time ago - my job did not allow for that type of work, and this would have all been on me for very little benefit, so I went in another direction. I often wished I had dug a bit deeper into this, but the benefit just wasn't there for me.
Well, to be honest, that book is as relevant as EVER..... :3 I'll definitely check it out..... :D But I know what you mean about being an enthusiast of something, rather than being a mechanic of sorts..... :) I guess I like the IDEA of attempting to Pentest DVL in a VM more than anything, but, who knows..... After all, this sort of thing is mostly just knowing how something WORKS....... Amiright.jpeg ?..... :3 But, I get your last point, as well..... :) They did that with HaikuOS, but instead of using everyone's Kernel, they just ported over things like Nano, GCC, etc., etc...... :) But you know... The beautiful thing about making Art is that you CAN go at your OWN pace, instead of being churned along in the current of the Rat Race..... :) Know what I mean.....? :D (BTW, I like your Profile Pic and Name..... :))

I'm not into building an OS from scratch myself, but have you heard of Linux From Scratch before? I have thought about trying that before but just don't have enough time to read, and learn, and play with it. It seems like it might be just the "instruction manual" you're looking for. It is currently being revised so that you could choose to work with either systemd or SysV init systems.

Cheers!
This is really good advice. Linux From Scratch is a great way to build a custom Linux OS. Also it's a great thing to do after obtaining your LPIC cert.

This is really good advice. Linux From Scratch is a great way to build a custom Linux OS. Also it's a great thing to do after obtaining your LPIC cert.
Well, I don't know what an LPIC Cert is, but I DO want to try LFS soon..... :3

Well, I don't know what an LPIC Cert is, but I DO want to try LFS soon..... :3
LPIC is the Linux Professional Institute Certification, it's basically 3 levels of Linux tests that tell industries you know what your doing (you also get a cool certification card and paper). It's supported in CompTIA's Linux+ exam aswell.

Also good on you for wanting to do LFS, it's pretty cool.

LPIC is the Linux Professional Institute Certification, it's basically 3 levels of Linux tests that tell industries you know what your doing (you also get a cool certification card and paper). It's supported in CompTIA's Linux+ exam aswell.

Also good on you for wanting to do LFS, it's pretty cool.
Ah, ok!..... :3 Sounds like something I need..... :D Know where it would be in Tennessee.....? :) Thanks for that, good sir..... :) I feel that if I can master LFS, then I could EASILY build Integrity OS, which will be Open Source..... :)

I'm not into building an OS from scratch myself, but have you heard of Linux From Scratch before? I have thought about trying that before but just don't have enough time to read, and learn, and play with it. It seems like it might be just the "instruction manual" you're looking for. It is currently being revised so that you could choose to work with either systemd or SysV init systems. Check it out at: LFS

Cheers!

I wanted to build a box that was 100% lean only what I wanted, a router basically, sent me down LFS, still a super fun process... thanks for the reminder and from what I can tell set systemd on fire... Literally part of the problem... Maybe ill go roll my p0wn distro... Package management has always been an issue for my ADD lol... Cruft nooooooooooooo

Staff online