The most basic of linux

far2close

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys, I need a linux build for an old laptop, I want the internet off, and just access to spreadsheets and a word processor (something with the same functionality as openoffice writer and calc) it also needs to still be able to use our epsom printer? Is all of this possible and which distro is best? (never used linux as a main OS before so complete noob here) Thanks guys :D

Is it Bad when the distro has Internet acces?

Of Not I would say the most distros with a Light Desktop will be finde. Like Ubuntu mate,lubuntuor Linux mint.

I just meant I dont care if it wasnt the most secure distro, but thanks dude ill check those ones out :)

If you dont wish it to access the internet....simply turn off its access from within the operating system. Easy to do.

Yeah I was going to turn it off, I just meant I don't want any resource wasting bloat, like Windows defender etc

[Hey guys, I need a linux build for an old laptop, I want the internet off, and just access to spreadsheets and a word processor (something with the same functionality as openoffice writer and calc) it also needs to still be able to use our epsom printer? Is all of this possible and which distro is best?]

What specs does the laptop have ?..
Brand & model, etc

Others here will chime in and help with a suitable distro for it

Bloat is not a problem.......windows defender type crap really does not happen in Linux.

You may wish to turn the internet on for a short time in order to update the OS, before turning it off again. At least that way you will have the latest open office or libre office or whatever you need.

Those who suggest any particular distro should also bear in mind your Epson Printer

I am not familiar with them but someone here will know of them

We can give you a guide to download whatever distro you settle on....to a usb....and then boot the laptop to that usb and try the distro out before you actually install it.

But first wait a bit and give us the necessary details first and we will see what the laptop is capable of running

(Happy Birthday for 5 days ago btw :D)

Last edited:
Epsom make Salts, Epson make printers :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @far2close and welcome to linux.org :D

Same as what Brian (@Condobloke ) said above, and add the model number on the Epson.

We'll find something for you.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Wow i'm going to put that down to a freudian slip due to wanting a bath lmao, The laptop is a "Packard Bell Easynote TS13-HR-038 Intel® 2100 MHz 4096 MB Portable HD Graphics 3000" On windows all the bloat was eating over half the ram on a fresh install... Also I have no clue what the printer is, I'm trying to install linux on her laptop while she is visiting so I wouldn't be able to find out.

Totally understand, and love the bath reference :)

1. Any chance you can find out from her what model the Epson is before she visits? It will likely be on a sticker on the printer, if not stamped on the unit itself. Or can she bring it with her?

For The Viewers and helpers, specs are

Brand name Packard Bell
Item Weight 2.6 Kg
Series Easynote TS13-HR-038
Form Factor Portable
Screen Size 15.6 inches
Processor Brand Intel®
Processor Speed 2100 MHz
Processor Count 2
RAM Size 4096 MB
Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
Graphics Card Description HD Graphics 3000

First released June 2013

Really quite a respectable unit for her start to a voyage through Linux :)

So you can add a whole bunch more Linux Distros (Distributions) to those Peer has helpfully mentioned above.

Which ones? ... is a bit like "How long is a piece of string?". Lol. There are hundreds to choose from, but if she does not like one, it can be easily replaced. Or additional Linux Distros can be added (the 1TB drive there is a bonus), and chosen amongst.

Choices can also be made from the "Live" scenario. All that needs is one USB port available for a USB stick, or a DVD writer, you could let us know what the unit has.

With Linux, you download a file called an .iso , then burn it to the medium (stick or disk) using purpose-built software that is free. Once the medium is burned, you can reboot and enter your Setup (BIOS or whatever) and tell it to boot from the medium before the hard drive, then your Linux will load and boot.

With almost all Linux, you can then "try before you buy" - read install, since it is free - and if you like what you see, then doubleclick an icon on the Desktop to install. (Exception is openSUSE, which you have to install).

If all of this does not bewilder you/her, then consider

2. visiting Distrowatch (.com) and having a look around, their Page Hit Ranking shows the Top (couple of) Hundred, and if you browse through the top 10 or 20 you may find your match made in Heaven.

3. Desktop Environments (DE) govern the Look and Feel of the product. They are a bit like the visual and organizational differences between Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, and some have specific applications that are associated with them.

You can get a broad idea on them at https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Ask away with any questions you have, and also determine

4. Whether personal data from Windows needs to be safeguarded before blowing it away, or else you can dualboot Linux and Windows and take all the time necessary.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

yada

Members online

Latest posts