The Linux software that users should know about

LorenDB

Credits
Programs like these are the ones that make Linux the better choice for the average user:

GoldenCheetah - "Performance Software for Cyclists, Runners and Triathletes"
Power Tab Editor - a guitar tabulature editor
Spotify-Qt - a Qt-based Spotify client
Otter Browser - A browser recreating the best features of Opera 12
Aliza MS - A DICOM viewer

These are a few programs that I found while browsing through Github. What programs do you think should be better-known? Post here!

mrcrossroads

Credits
I love GoldenCheetah and use it all the time for cycling data. It as good or better than the best of the best, web-based, paid alternatives.

Programs like these are the ones that make Linux the better choice for the average user:

GoldenCheetah - "Performance Software for Cyclists, Runners and Triathletes"
Power Tab Editor - a guitar tabulature editor
Spotify-Qt - a Qt-based Spotify client
Otter Browser - A browser recreating the best features of Opera 12
Aliza MS - A DICOM viewer

These are a few programs that I found while browsing through Github. What programs do you think should be better-known? Post here!

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
I'm keeping an eye on this Thread with a view to making it a sticky, if it prospers, Loren :)

The fact that it has helped draw Albert Einstein back in after over 12 months is a good start ;)

Off to hunt down some useful software to contribute.

Cheers all

Wizard

LorenDB

Credits
A few other programs:
  • Ulauncher - a super-handy launcher (somewhat like the Alfred application for macOS) that pops up when you press a hotkey. I use it a lot more than my application menu.
  • CPU-X: Like CPU-Z but for Linux. Gives detailed information about your system hardware.
  • PowerShell: Microsoft's PowerShell, for macOS and Linux. (See also docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-core-on-linux.)
  • MailSpring: A crossplatform email client. Currently closed source but they plan to opensource it eventually.
  • Nuclear: A music player that streams only free music.
  • Rambox: A communications/webapp-organizing app that supports a whopping 103 different services!
  • progress: A command-line tool to show the progress of commands like cp, dd, unzip, etc...
  • OpenDrop: an opensource Implementation of Apple's AirDrop (see also https://owlink.org).
  • Fre:ac: A free, crossplatform audio converter and CD ripper.
  • NitroShare: Think of the Warpinator program from Linux Mint 20, but crossplatform.
  • CoolRetroTerm: Imitation of a really old (think DOS and IBM) computer terminal.

Members online