The linux distros in the download linux page are out of date

@wizardfromoz @KGIII @Rob
any movement on this topic?
I have noticed that most newbies seem to gravitate to this forum as soon as they register, [ when I see a new name in the members online I always hover to see what they are looking at]

The list need updating for sure :)

May I suggest the distro Salix -- especially the SalixLive64-xfce-15.0 iso for anyone to try out

It calls itself "Linux for the lazy Slacker," and uses its own version of APT, called slapt-get as well as a GUI software install much like synaptic.

It can be a stepping stone to the oldest GNU/Linux out there -- Slackware -- without the intimidation factor 'buntuites and newbies feel regarding Patrick Volkerding's baby.

Last edited:
any movement on this topic?

It's beyond my ability. I am not an admin. So, you'll have to wait for @Rob or @wizardfromoz to chime in. It could be a bit of a project, but doesn't look like it'd be too hard - but I don't have the correct permissions to change that.

So, I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.

Wouldn't it be better just to link to distrowatch.com for the download page?

Check it now.

Wiz

BTW leaving it at 25 for now. I have added a reference to distrowatch.com for others.

Avagudweegend

Thanks Chris ,
I was hoping to see Kali shown the door [and possibly replaced by Parrot],
Oh this bit needs amending
  • Published May 1, 2017
Enjoy your evening

Last edited:
Published May 1, 2017

Yeah I knew that, but it had sentimental value - that was the day I became active here (technically joined 2014 but had to rejoin when the site software was overhauled).

I'll probably fix it on my tomorrow.

Check it now.

Wiz

BTW leaving it at 25 for now. I have added a reference to distrowatch.com for others.
I still see all of them pointing towards their official download page. What I meant was wouldn't be more logical to have the download page automatically redirect to distrowatch.com since they keep the available Linux distributions updated and for someeone on linux.org to do that here it would cost extra time. Why not redirect to a source that already does that job? Also Redhat isn't a Linux distribution but a company that maintains the distribution Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Thanks Wiz :)

Suggestion:
I note that he downloads page has a lot of visitors...a LOT.

Why isn't that page put to better use?

There is a great deal of space surrounding it that could be used for links to the main forum page for the particular distros.....to a page/pages with install instructions.....a link for the downloader to seek help if needed....

I am sure you bright guys will come up with bigger and better suggestions

has a lot of visitors...a LOT.

Define a lot, Brian, it would have to be more than 10,666,935 before we would even consider it.

Kidding.

@Rob might have some ideas there.

Those views are helped by our very visible presence on Google and other search engines. For example, if you type in on Google

download linux

we are the first entry you get.

At the same time, at time of writing we have 60,038 Members. So obviously our rate of return in terms of new Members is low.

The question then that arises in my mind is how much investment in time do Rob, and maybe I (a little) have to put in to make the page more appealing, compared with projected and realised returns in increased Membership. Which latter can attract more sponsorship and maybe more advertising revenues.

....to a page/pages with install instructions.....a link for the downloader to seek help if needed....

These are areas which might just as easily be addressed in the Forums, pinned near the top.

Not raining on your parade, and you know I don't do patronising. Just putting it out there.

Chris

For example, if you type in on Google

download linux

we are the first entry you get.
That is exactly my point.
Visitors who visit the download page for the necessary download is all well and good.

But we are simply marching on the spot/....wasting time and real estate by not taking advantage of their presence.

It becomes a domino chain....they see something else of interest....they spot one or two advertisements....they see a topic near to their hearts......
It sure beats the hell out of them grabbing their download....then perhaps to encounter a problem.....and do a google search for which result Linux.org does not appear as the first entry.

While we have them captive here....make use of them

Staff online

Members online