"The Hardest Way To Learn Linux"

Sueno1123

Reaction score
Credits
I was browsing around on Quora when I saw someone recommending something weird: they were telling prospecting Linux converts not to expect their hands to be held because that would hamper their learning journey. They recommended something drastic: apparently there's a book called "Linux From Scratch" that will guide you through building your own personal distro from the kernel. According to this person, it's hard and it's frustrating to go through an LFS project, but you will come out the other side with intimate knowledge about Linux that you can't get anywhere else.

Now, I've never been so good with computers. The whole point of me wanting to switch to Linux is so that I'd learn more about computers and programming in general (I'm a biologist by education). I am afraid I'm a noob, but that's the point. Have you tried LFS yourself? Do you advise me to go through with it? If not, any alternatives? Any things that I don't know that I don't know?

If so inclined, but you are not, LFS or Slackware or Arch will teach a person Linux.

I'd recommend something easy at first. I say PCLinuxOS is one of the better newbie-friendly distros. Take a look at "Community Releases"

Many here will say Mint and others will go with ubuntu or lubuntu or xubunt or Pop! or other 'buntus.

Hardware and intended usage will influence distro choice. Preference regarding eye candy is another variable

Best wishes from a retired Rangeland Science major!

I have done both LFS and Beyond LFS. You will come out the other end wiser and knowing a whole lot more about how (and why) Linux works.

I strongly advise you to not do so as a new Linux user. Strongly, strongly advise you not to even try.

There are several quite good book around for Linux, including the latest edition of Linux for Dummies and a lot of on-line self-help documents, [just search teach yourself Linux]
I saw someone recommending something weird: they were telling prospecting Linux converts not to expect their hands to be held because that would hamper their learning journey.

This is very true of some distributions, but by no means all, beside independent help sites like this one, most distributions have good community support, as regular Linux users there is no benefit in being aloof or bloody minded when newbies need help, even we were newbies once, and needed some help.
The best way to learn is to break and make good, have a second copy of your chosen distribution on an external drive, and use this to "Play at Linux" this way you won't damage your working installation, and you can break it as many times as you like

LFS is unnecessary to get to use and know linux ; elements to get you through include common sense , the right attitude, know your limitations ; basically the right approach.

Reading LFS will probably only drive you back to Windows. The basics are get a Linux OS or a few to seldct from up and running via a live boot from a usb and play with it . have a read of this starting from Windows : https://linux-tips.us/linux-installation-usb-media-using-windows/ Read the thread on this site about ventoy , you will be half way there before you knw it.

You don't need to learn LFS in order to learn Linux unless you want to create your own distribution. Just start with Ubuntu or Mint and then try to figure out how to get your daily tasks done there. Then when you don't understand something you can Google it and someone else will have already asked the same question you asked or have run into the same problem then you can learn from the questions other people have asked and gotten answers to.

Over time you will gain experience and you will start to learn from your experience and yes reading how to's and other help articles people have written will help you learn as well. Lastly it depends on how far you want to go, do you want to become a normal Linux user, do you want to become a power user or do you want to create your own distribution or do you have another goal.

Last edited:
I have done both LFS and Beyond LFS. You will come out the other end wiser and knowing a whole lot more about how (and why) Linux works.

I strongly advise you to not do so as a new Linux user. Strongly, strongly advise you not to even try.
how come you haven't done a 5 minute read on LFS then ?

how come you haven't done a 5 minute read on LFS then ?

Hmm... I'm not sure I could turn it into an article, other than to share my experiences.

And why is that?

It's far too complicated to understand without already knowing a bunch, and trying to make heads or tales of it as a new user is going to be so frustrating that a mere mortal will quit and never try Linux again.

If anything was ever designed to turn you off using Linux....that would be it.

Baby steps

Immerse yourself in A distro first.

(my suggestion would be Linux Mint. Why?....simply because there is so much support)

When you have a grasp of the differences between windows and Linux.....then take a look at LFS

I was browsing around on Quora when I saw someone recommending something weird: they were telling prospecting Linux converts not to expect their hands to be held because that would hamper their learning journey. . . .

It must have been a Slacker who said that! Do you want your head bitten off for being a n00b? Use a Slackware forum!

What an honor!

What an honor!
oh i've written documentation on slackware docs site, administered by Alien Bob ; he was ok with me but comments about him have included "he is not rude, its just that he is Dutch " etc etc . Mr V is a pussycat compared to Alien bob

Now, I've never been so good with computers. The whole point of me wanting to switch to Linux is so that I'd learn more about computers and programming in general (I'm a biologist by education). I am afraid I'm a noob, but that's the point. Have you tried LFS yourself? Do you advise me to go through with it? If not, any alternatives? Any things that I don't know that I don't know?
You don't need to be good with computers but a little knowledge helps.
winking0011.gif
You don't need to be a programmer or buy books either, all you need is a user friendly Distro like Linux Mint Cinnamon and this Forum.
happy0034.gif

Many people who have never used Linux think Linux is all Terminal commands with no interface like Dos was and because of this, Linux is too hard to learn.
sad0004.gif

Just install Virtualbox and Linux Mint as a Virtual Machine, then play with it. Once you start to learn, you will see it's much easier than windwoes ever was.
happy0009.gif

LFS is definitely not for a newcomer to Linux. Install a distro you think will work for you. Play around. Get used to the CLI (command line). Learn a bit about bash scripting, and the filesystem hierarchy, and source compiling. Use the CLI to tweak your applications. If you break something, try to fix it. Get comfortable and hang a while.

When you think you're ready, download the latest version of the LFS document, and get cracking. And be ready to start asking questions. A lot of them. Because the documentation isn't nearly complete enough for you to fully understand what you've started. Just don't get into the habit of just pasting commands; you want to really know what you're doing. If you just paste, you won't truly learn.

^^^ all this, from a guy who made a valiant effort at LFS, but hasn't been completely successful (yet).

Staff online

Members online