The Gentoo File Manager

MattWinter

Reaction score
Credits
Does anyone know anything about the Gentoo File Manager? I'm trying to create a command to launch a file with mupdf. I can create the command and open mupdf, but not with the selected file. I've tried using f, $f, %f, {f}, {%f}, "f", "%f", [N], name, {N}, {name}, {%n}, and a few other similar variations. Is there a standard convention for things like this?

Or better yet, does anyone know of any resources for Gentoo File Manager? I'm not having any luck finding anything and the man page is pretty minimal. I'm starting to think it isn't actively maintained any more.

Usually the file manager is tied more to the desktop environment, than the Linux distro.

I've used, nemo, nautilus, caja, dolphin, thunar, konqueror, and a couple of others.
It seems these are tied to specific desktop environments, such as MATE, KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc...

I have heard you can "cross use" the native file manager for a specific desktop to another, but
I haven't tried it myself.

Last edited:
Yes, usually. In this case I'm using fluxbox, so there is no default file manager.

Also in this case, as I just found out recently, the name Gentoo is coincidental. Apparently the Gentoo File Manager was around before Gentoo Linux. No connection.

That's part of the difficulty finding any documentation or help. All the search results are for Gentoo Linux, not Gentoo File Manager. That, and the fact that there just might not be much in the way of documentation in the first place.

Last edited:
What distro are you currently using, Matt?

Well, I was trying to avoid saying because I didn't want to muddy the waters and I thought it was irrelevant. It's a Gentoo system, so it's all piecemeal.

That's OK, I have used a bit of Gentoo-based, being Sabayon and Calculate, but I am not familiar with the Gentoo File Manager.

@JasKinasis may have used Fluxbox, I don't know if he has come across it.

I only used Gentoo for a short while, back when I was distro hopping when (in my opinion) Ubuntu prematurely forced Gnome 3 on its users. A year or two before unleashing the absolute abortion that was Unity. I used to love Gnome 2 back then and was not happy about the change. Those first iterations of Gnome 3 were unstable, missing lots of features and extremely resource hungry. Not a very good desktop experience.

That was around the time that I switched to dwm full time after messingg around with lots of different Window managers. I honestly can’t remember if I tried fluxbox or not.

Like I said, I spent a little time with Gentoo, but I don’t remember a lot about it!
That was a lot of hangovers ago, ha ha!

Members online

Latest posts