The Fedora - Redhat connection

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
I always thought everyone knew this, but apparently it's new to some.
Most of the newer releases of Redhat are based on an older version of Fedora. (Since Redhat 4 anyway)

• Red Hat Linux 6.2/7 → Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition 6.2E
  • Red Hat Linux 7.2 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
  • Red Hat Linux 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
  • Fedora Core 3 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
  • Fedora Core 6 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
  • Fedora 12, 13 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6[14]
  • Fedora 19, 20 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7[15]
  • Fedora 28 → CentOS Stream 8 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8[16]
  • Fedora 34 → CentOS Stream 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9[17]
Now obviously, this goes for alll the Redhat Clones as well. ( Oracle, CentOS, Rocky, Alma, etc... )

On average, the Redhat releases come out about 7 Fedora releases, this means Fedora 41 would be the base for Redhat 10.
(Note this isn't a hard fact, sometimes it's a little longer, sometimes a little less )

It is difficult to argue that Redhat/Fedora has a very high influence on the way things go in Linux, especially in the server arena.
For example Fedora was the first Distro with systemd, wayland, NetworkManager, pipewire audio, and dnf.
But virtually all of these things have found there way down into other distro's. Particularly the Redhat flavors.

Last edited:

Someone created a thread here a while back, about the state of the Linux desktop.
They say it lacks development compared to Windows. I suppose that could be true, I don't know.

But I do have to admit... that from a Desktop Environment, Window Mngr perspective... but other than wayland
(which is really community, not Fedora/Redhat) I can't think of a single innovation/new technology that they have
contributed to the desktop ( Gnome, KDE, MATE, XFCE, etc... ) perhaps that's because their server offerings
are what drives their development.

What I'm getting at here is.. as much as some of us hate commercially owned distro's. It appears to me that the corporate
part of Linux (not just Redhat, but SuSE and Ubuntu as well) is what drives a lot of the newer technologies in Linux.

What I'm getting at here is.. as much as some of us hate commercially owned distro's. It appears to me that the corporate
part of Linux (not just Redhat, but SuSE and Ubuntu as well) is what drives a lot of the newer technologies in Linux.
Basically all the opensource project that Redhat creates products from they contribute to including Ansible.

Looking for some clarification. Are you saying:
That Redhat/Fedora, and other corporate interests, should be considered a major contributor of server technologies to GNU/Linux, but not so much in the desktop market?

Members online