that feeling all over again

Leonardo_B

Reaction score
Credits
I just bought a new computer its a hp Intel Pentium Gold upgrade able to i7 and it has 16x slot with two m.2 slots. I now greeted with windows 10. Bring the feeling of why i left windows back a fews moths ago. I had fedora 32 on my old hp for over 4 months till the computer broke down on me. after 30 days im going back to linux

Last edited:

I just ordered a new laptop, since I had no option to order it without Windows I will be reinstalling it with Archlinux as soon as it arrives tomorrow. I find annoying that in almost all cases systems are sold with Windows pre-installed and that they don't even offer an option to deliver it without an OS installed.

I find annoying that in almost all cases systems are sold with Windows pre-installed and that they don't even offer an option to deliver it without an OS installed.

Every couple of years, even with sometimes buying other systems, I tend to treat myself with a Titan Mobile Workstation. Hands down, the best laptops I've ever owned and can be ordered with insane/absurd levels of performance.

Anyhow, unless they've changed in the past 8 months, those can be ordered with no operating system.

They're pricey if you want them to be, but they're otherwise reasonable. Hmm... I'll get you a link. (I am in no way affiliated.)

Play with their configuration tools and you can make 'em rather pricey. They're otherwise not too expensive for what it is. I've bought a few over the past decade and a couple of times I ended up with a laptop that was more powerful than the desktop I was using at the time.

Every couple of years, even with sometimes buying other systems, I tend to treat myself with a Titan Mobile Workstation. Hands down, the best laptops I've ever owned and can be ordered with insane/absurd levels of performance.

Anyhow, unless they've changed in the past 8 months, those can be ordered with no operating system.

They're pricey if you want them to be, but they're otherwise reasonable. Hmm... I'll get you a link. (I am in no way affiliated.)

Play with their configuration tools and you can make 'em rather pricey. They're otherwise not too expensive for what it is. I've bought a few over the past decade and a couple of times I ended up with a laptop that was more powerful than the desktop I was using at the time.
I sold my previous laptop which was practically a gaming laptop because I missed some advantages about having a desktop. I ordered a new laptop so I still have something small I can carry around in case I am away from home while on the standby shift. Those Titan computers look like beasts, although my current desktop system has got quite the specs as well.

Those Titan computers look like beasts

They can be configured to be absolute beasts - but it costs.

They're well made. They're rather rugged and stand up to being tossed into a backpack and dragged around the country.

I dimly recall you sharing your specs before. IIRC, you had more RAM than even I have and I think your CPU was newer. With me, it's largely wasted. I do not do a lot of heavy computation these days. Years ago, I modeled traffic. I'd have killed for modern hardware at modern hardware prices!

In the very late 90s, it'd take about a week to model a TB's worth of data - on a system that was well into the seven figure range for the cluster. LOL It also took entire racks of drives. Graphic rendering was so computationally expensive that we only did so sparingly and for client displays.

Today, I could probably do it on a laptop...

And at a tiny fraction of the cost...

I should probably stop derailing the OP's thread.