Text editors that run from the terminal.

apt-cache search ncurses

It's likely one of those. Maybe "lib64ncurses-dev"?
that did it, just replacing the package name i had with that...i recently learned about "apt-cache search", but i i'm pessimistic about search engines since they don't always come up with something useful...but yeah that's a good strategy, the more generic of a search the better. Thanks!

I have it aliased to 'search'. It gets used often enough to warrant an alias.

This may interest you:

It does.

Unfortunately, this program won't run now even though make didn't give me any errors after installing the libraries:

Code:
g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o arg_parser.o arg_parser.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o basic_buffer.o basic_buffer.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o block.o block.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o buffer.o buffer.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o buffer_handle.o buffer_handle.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o encoding.o encoding.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o iso_8859.o iso_8859.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o menu_file.o menu_file.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o menu_help.o menu_help.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o menu_opts.o menu_opts.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o rc.o rc.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o regex.o regex.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o screen.o screen.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o window.o window.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -c -o window_vector.o window_vector.cc

g++  -Wall -W -O2 -DPROGVERSION=\"1.12\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -c -o main.o main.cc

g++ -Wall -W -O2  -o moe arg_parser.o basic_buffer.o block.o buffer.o buffer_handle.o encoding.o iso_8859.o menu_file.o menu_help.o menu_opts.o rc.o regex.o screen.o window.o window_vector.o main.o -lncurses

I tried typing "moe" in the command line, and also clicking on the file labeled "moe" in the moe directory. Even though i kinda rushed to try "moe" without reading Captain Sensible's file, that is supposedly the right way to do it, i even added a file name just to make sure.

Alas, someone smarter than I will need to interpret those errors. I've never used Moe. I was merely looking for the library you needed. From the looks of things, you need more than that.

It probably comes with some sort of readme file, which I'd consult after banging my head against a wall a few times, 'cause I pretty much never read the documentation before blinding trying to figure it out on my own.

Alas, someone smarter than I will need to interpret those errors. I've never used Moe. I was merely looking for the library you needed. From the looks of things, you need more than that.

It probably comes with some sort of readme file, which I'd consult after banging my head against a wall a few times, 'cause I pretty much never read the documentation before blinding trying to figure it out on my own.

Well, with so much information available it would make sense that us humans would try something before reading too much about it, there's major disadvantages to an over-analysis...

typically these kinds of problems are often caused (with moe, lol) by the correct dependencies not being installed, there's no read me file, but there's a moe.info file and there doesn't appear to be info about dependencies...

oh well, poor moe.

If you’re running it in the source directory, where you just built it, you need to run it in the terminal using a relative path, like this:
Bash:
./moe
Assuming that the built binary is in the directory you’re currently in.
Otherwise, if you’re not in the directory, you could run it using an absolute path.
E.g.
Bash:
/path/to/moe

But as KGIII said, if you run the make install command (you may need to be root, so use sudo, or su to root before running the command, if required.)

Then it will be installed somewhere in $PATH, most likely /usr/local/bin. And you will be able to run it directly as moe.

I'm pretty sure that nano is just as universal as vi though, correct? All linux distros come with nano and vi by default I think...
Its fairly common but some appliances running stripped down highly modified flavors of linux sometimes do not. My work history is long and I am a creature of habit. I just go to VI without thinking about it.

Vim, always vim - in the terminal, in the GUI and even in other editors (where vim plugins are available, with vim-like keybinds and behaviours.)

At some point I’ll share the most interesting/useful parts of my extensively modified .vimrc!
I tried using vim several times (mostly when fstab won't be loaded bc of wrong strings) but I failed to understand how to work with it, so I loaded nano. Not that I like nano either but it's way more comprehensible than vim.

If you think vi is difficult. Try emacs. :)
I have never tried emacs since I started with Linux, all stuff I read always used either nano or vim so in the end I stuck with vim.

Members online

Latest posts