terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'

bhaumik17

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys,
I'm a newbie in this amazing platform (linux.org). Thanks everyone who will try to help me.

I'm getting an error as:-
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std:eek:ut_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 1) >= this->size() (which is 1)
Aborted

My system Details:-

I'm using Pop!_OS 22.04 version and got stuck at this. being a newbie in this It's hard for me to resolve this.

Whenever I run any command for example: $sudo apt update I get this error. [Note: Here I have added command as for reference]

Thank you guys,
Bhaumik

G'day bhaumik17, Welcome to Linux.org

I have just entered your error into DDG search.....and it returns a ton of results.

Which tells me that perhaps parrot os is a bit complex for a "I'm a newbie"

I may be wrong.

At best the answers there are complex...well above my paygrade.....but if you are getting this same error even when running a simple command such as sudo apt update, thta at least shows there is a bigger problem.

Does the system run ok in all other aspects?...or are there other problems with it ?

You may get a much better experience running Linux Mint 21. I run that and it is bullet proof.

What program is reporting/producing that error?

That looks like a C++ std::library error. Whatever program you’re using, it looks like it’s attempting to address something that exceeds the bounds of a std::vector, so the vector is throwing an exception, which in turn is causing whatever program you’re running to exit.

Can you post a screenshot of the problem?! It might help to diagnose what has gone wrong.

G'day bhaumik17, Welcome to Linux.org

I have just entered your error into DDG search.....and it returns a ton of results.

Which tells me that perhaps parrot os is a bit complex for a "I'm a newbie"

I may be wrong.

At best the answers there are complex...well above my paygrade.....but if you are getting this same error even when running a simple command such as sudo apt update, thta at least shows there is a bigger problem.

Does the system run ok in all other aspects?...or are there other problems with it ?

You may get a much better experience running Linux Mint 21. I run that and it is bullet proof.
Thank you so much @Condobloke. Well I'm a newbie yes and trying to learn things now and currently working as Cloud + DevOps Engineer but as far as I know system admin skills in necessary and trying to implement things but got stuck in this and yes even I'm unable to run basic commands. You're right I have no knowledge in programming that much so, I'm totally blank but I'm getting this error because of my source.list file has been corrupted right?

I maybe wrong as it's hard for me to resolve this and fix my system. I might try Mint later on for sure as there are pretty good Linux flavours and will surely explore..

Thanks again

What program is reporting/producing that error?

That looks like a C++ std::library error. Whatever program you’re using, it looks like it’s attempting to address something that exceeds the bounds of a std::vector, so the vector is throwing an exception, which in turn is causing whatever program you’re running to exit.

Can you post a screenshot of the problem?! It might help to diagnose what has gone wrong.
Hi @JasKinasis,
Let me share my screenshot which will help both of us to identify the error..

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-11-25 11-54-39.jpg
    Screenshot from 2022-11-25 11-54-39.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 356
Do you know how to navigate to the update manager in Pop OS ?

This is a longshot......but it will not do any harm if it does not work

In update manager, you are looking for Software Sources

With luck it will have two sources/lines....possibly named 'Main' & 'Base'

click once on each line, one at a time... and hopefully it will find a better source for each one....click on the uppermost one which is found...it will be the fastest
Ditto with the second line

As I said, a real shot in the dark !!

Last edited:
bhaumik17 wrote:
I'm totally blank but I'm getting this error because of my source.list file has been corrupted right?
Perhaps if you provide your sources.list ... using code tags will make it clearer so it can be corrected if it's indeed misconfigured. Also, confirm which terminal you are using since that error message looks like it has more to do with coding of an application than it does with accessing the repositories which the apt-get command is concerned with.

I don’t think it’s related to sources.list. This looks like a serious bug with apt-get. What happens if you just use apt instead of apt-get? They are different binaries. Even if apt-get is broken, apt might not be!
E.g. try using:
Bash:
sudo apt update

Does that work? Or do you get the same error?

Members online