telnet like service for ISP

d3feed

Reaction score
Credits
I recently had major dropouts with my internet provider, and although I don't use a landline it wouldn't have mattered much because that was the line that was physically frayed - squirrels on the line, would you believe !

I did get some service, a trickle like service if you will, but nothing like what would be required to wait forty minutes in a telephone queue to get through to a human on Skype.

Does anybody know of an ISP that offers a telnet like service, where I could send them my account number, similar to an SOS line of communication, where my ISP would ring me to see what the issue was from my profile details?

Once I managed to use a friends phone to get through to my ISP they did ring me back later on, so it's not like they won't, I am just looking for a reliable method to instigate that process with the small amount of data available: and their webform wasn't reliably working either, so I couldn't use email.

Don't quote me on any of this
to be secure apt remove --purge telnet
but FYI -- see here

Thanks for the information. It was only a nostalgic reference, an SSH tunnel would obviously be better.

I’m sure that engineer contractors communicate with ISP servers in this manner, I just wanted to know if there was any ISP out there that allowed its customers to do so as well, for the outlined reasons above.

Cannot help with specific ISPs. Which geographical region are you speaking of, for others to reply to?

I just meant the local ones, so if you went with Orange in France then you would contact them directly, through the command line.

Pretty much the same thing as email, but ISPs don’t always make it easy to contact them.

I've never heard of anyone extending those channels to customers. They pretty much have access to your local equipment (e.g., router) to check and peek, over (I hope) some sort of secure channel, but nothing you can initiate.

Members online

Latest posts