Tcsh : No entry for terminal type “network”

chan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Guys,

The serial ports in my PC is used to communicate with the other equipment.
Now it seems that Serial port lost has been occurred in Lynx OS
Please be aware that i have no idea, experience about Lynx OS

Following is what i have tried to find a problem....
Checked the cable connection => no problem.
swapped the board => still no work
Bios setting => serial port selected.

When I logged in Lynx, The messages below were shown.
Tcsh : using dumb terminal setting

I tried some command which Linux manual suggest but most of commands didn’t work so I couldn’t go further
If you guys know how to set the serial port or restore it, Please let me know.

[OS information]

OS version : Lynx 3.1.0a
FCS version : 071000-F

I'm not familiar with Lynx OS - but a quick bit of duckduckgo-fu shows me that it is a proprietary, Linux-based RTOS. Version 3 must be quite old too. Even the current version (V7) is 4 years old.....
Other than that, I can find very little information about it. Not sure that anybody else here will have much of an idea......

From looking at the error messages, it looks like it has something to do with the TERMINFO/TERMCAP database. So at a guess, it's either a termcap related environment variable is misconfigured/missing, or something is wrong in your .tcshrc file (or in one of your other config files). Or perhaps the the terminfo database itself is missing/corrupt.

Also, it's kinda hard to recommend a course of action when we don't know exactly what things you have already tried.

At a guess, you could try adding the following to your .tcshrc:
Code:
setenv TERM xterm
NOTE: Replace xterm with the name of the terminal you actually use - e.g. rxvt, stterm etc.

Failing that, what is the output of the env command? And what is the content of your .tcshrc?

Otherwise, all I can do for now is redirect you here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-16.html

Which has lots of information about termcap and links to manuals etc.

Hello Guys,

The serial ports in my PC is used to communicate with the other equipment.
Now it seems that Serial port lost has been occurred in Lynx OS
Please be aware that i have no idea, experience about Lynx OS

Following is what i have tried to find a problem....
Checked the cable connection => no problem.
swapped the board => still no work
Bios setting => serial port selected.

When I logged in Lynx, The messages below were shown.
Tcsh : using dumb terminal setting

I tried some command which Linux manual suggest but most of commands didn’t work so I couldn’t go further
If you guys know how to set the serial port or restore it, Please let me know.

[OS information]

OS version : Lynx 3.1.0a
FCS version : 071000-F

Hi @chan, and welcome! Sorry you did not receive any replies sooner, but I have deleted the duplicate threads you posted so that your problem can be focused here.

I am not sure if we will be able to help you because it seems that Lynx OS is a specialty version of Linux for embedded systems. At least that is what I find here, if that is what you are using. And since we are probably not going to be familiar with your OS, and since you say that you are not familiar with Lynx OS either... I'm not sure how we can proceed to troubleshoot this.

Can you tell us more? What kind of equipment are you trying to communicate with? What "board" did you replace? When it worked before, can you identify what may have changed that could have broken the serial connection? An update, maybe... to the OS or to the board? Is there another computer that works properly with the board?

Since the error appears when you log in... I am guessing that a script is running that initiates this serial connection. Is this right? And if so, can you show us the script? Also, because the error seems to be looking for a "network" terminal, is it possible to connect the PC to the board via ethernet?

What is "FCS version?" Is that the board?

It's been quite awhile since I've done anything with serial communication, but maybe others here on the forums will be better able to help.

Hi @chan, and welcome! Sorry you did not receive any replies sooner, but I have deleted the duplicate threads you posted so that your problem can be focused here.

I am not sure if we will be able to help you because it seems that Lynx OS is a specialty version of Linux for embedded systems. At least that is what I find here, if that is what you are using. And since we are probably not going to be familiar with your OS, and since you say that you are not familiar with Lynx OS either... I'm not sure how we can proceed to troubleshoot this.

Can you tell us more?
What kind of equipment are you trying to communicate with?
[Chan] I'm trying to get the Engine dynamometer to communicate with Emmission measurement equipment via serial port which worked before.

What "board" did you replace?
[Chan] I guess all boards include serial port board in the original PC.
because i moved the harddisk from original PC to the other PC(which is designed almost same as original PC) to see it is hardware issue.

When it worked before, can you identify what may have changed that could have broken the serial connection?
[Chan] When it comes to OS/software/etc ,No one at the site knows about Liux even simple commands.
I heard the Power supply in the PC was out of order and they have changed it
One thing i have done is cleanning the inside of PC which i usually do every 1 year.

An update, maybe... to the OS or to the board?
Is there another computer that works properly with the board?

Since the error appears when you log in... I am guessing that a script is running that initiates this serial connection. Is this right? And if so, can you show us the script? Also, because the error seems to be looking for a "network" terminal, is it possible to connect the PC to the board via ethernet?
[Chan] Yes. It is possbile to communicate with the other PC via ethernet but the thing is I have to get the Engine dynamometer to communicate with Emmission measurement equipment via serial port.
I don't even know where "Script" is. sorry

What is "FCS version?" Is that the board?
[Chan] I also don't know what is it..

It's been quite awhile since I've done anything with serial communication, but maybe others here on the forums will be better able to help.
Thank you for answers and i have uploaded the picture of the login stage for your information.

Attachments

• Lynx.JPG
    Lynx.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 570
I'm not familiar with Lynx OS - but a quick bit of duckduckgo-fu shows me that it is a proprietary, Linux-based RTOS. Version 3 must be quite old too. Even the current version (V7) is 4 years old.....
Other than that, I can find very little information about it. Not sure that anybody else here will have much of an idea......

From looking at the error messages, it looks like it has something to do with the TERMINFO/TERMCAP database. So at a guess, it's either a termcap related environment variable is misconfigured/missing, or something is wrong in your .tcshrc file (or in one of your other config files). Or perhaps the the terminfo database itself is missing/corrupt.

Also, it's kinda hard to recommend a course of action when we don't know exactly what things you have already tried.

At a guess, you could try adding the following to your .tcshrc:
Code:
setenv TERM xterm
NOTE: Replace xterm with the name of the terminal you actually use - e.g. rxvt, stterm etc.

Failing that, what is the output of the env command? And what is the content of your .tcshrc?

Otherwise, all I can do for now is redirect you here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-16.html

Which has lots of information about termcap and links to manuals etc.

I will check/try what you mentioned and thank you for the manuals.

@chan

Hello and a belated welcome to linux.org.

Wow, I just looked at your image and if it was orange it would resemble some end-user Unix apps I used in the 90s.

According to Wikipedia, there is a Usenet group called comp.os.lynx - devoted to discussion of LynxOS. They may be of help.

Good luck

Wizard