Target Package errors

Soulmann

Reaction score
Credits
Every time I update, I get back this error after I click on the 'close' button once the update has installed... any idea what is goin on?
Screenshot from 2018-08-06 12-58-48.png

I would if you told me what Linux you were using :D Kidding @Soulmann - Aussie sense of humour.

But as a Tip, where you type in your Thread title, perhaps include the Distro eg "Target Package Errors LM 18.3 Cinnamon" - you'll get more responses more quickly.

Is that what you are using? I took a quick look at your Post from about 3 weeks ago.

First up, despite the header on the popup, this is a Warning, not an error. If everything is working OK after the updates, you're good. But the warning may keep appearing so we can clean that up too.

Are you using Google Chrome? And have you installed or reinstalled it recently?

I am looking at us going into your Software Updates Manager, or perhaps Synaptic Package Manager, and pinning down the duplicate entry and deleting it.

Also, can you give us the output of the following command

Code:
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
?

That's "ls" as in "list".

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder ;)

Thanks Chris, as you can prolly tell I dunno much about this stuff...
Yes I use Google Chrome, but to the best of my knowledge I have not installed a new copy, just the usual updates from Linux.
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18.1 (Serena)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 18.1"
VERSION_ID="18.1"
HOME_URL="http://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/"
VERSION_CODENAME=serena
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

Screenshot from 2018-08-12 08-46-57.png

I dunno much about this stuff...

Lol, you know enough to be able to run something like

Code:
cat /etc/os-release

... or similar, and to add PPAs for additional software installed, so you'll be right :)

Can you give us the outputs of the following

... either cd to /etc/apt/sources.list.d or else include that path in the command

Code:
cat google-chrome.list

#And

cat google.list

Thanks

Chris

You're doing fine, friend :)

Back in your OP (OP= Original Post or Original Poster) at #1, the "error" warnings were multiple because the packages Linux was updating for your Chrome, which comprised binary AMD64, binary All, a locale file (set to Canada where I take it you are from), and an English file. One warning for each package, lucky it wasn't updating 60 packages, lol.

Also, the numerals - you'll see there references to google-chrome.list:3, and google.list:1 - these are the lines in the respective files which are duplicate and generate the Warning.

Compare that with the last Post you have provided us, and you can see it is that line starting with "deb" for Debian.

So you want to get rid of one of either google.list or google-chrome.list.

To actually get rid of the files in /etc - which is owned by Root, you either have to assume Root (sudo su), or else use sudo, I would suggest sudo.

So either of these will work. First cd back into /etc/apt/sources.list.d and then

Code:
sudo rm google.list

#OR

sudo rm google-chrome.list

BUT (Wizard always has a but), without my knowing if either of those files is involved with dependencies related to other packages, I would be more inclined to either "save as" the file targetted for elimination, or else simply to comment out the offending duplicate line in one of them.

Given you are in 'Serena' Cinnamon, your default File Manager is Nemo. So I would suggest opening Nemo and from File System, tunnel to /etc/apt/sources.list.d and check the date-time stamp on each of the two files and report them back here. If your configuration is displaying icons for folders and files, click the icon near top right for list details.

If your List Details does not show dates and times, add the item from right-clicking the headers, as below

Jy7yl8E.png

The more recent of the two files is more likely to be "the offender", and then we can take that & place a # in front of the offending line, and the problem will resolve itself.

See if you follow everything, and then let me know.

Cheers

Wizard

This is what is in there.. I haven't done the rest of the steps yet.
Screenshot from 2018-08-13 01-48-22.png

This is what I got in terminal when I went for the most recent google.list

rm: cannot remove 'google.list': No such file or directory

Just did an update through update manager and no warning box! yayyyyy Thanks for all the help Chris... next I get to try and figure out why my browsers will not play Brightcove videos .

I love it when a plan comes together ... another happy customer :)

Soulmann just a word to the wise - PPAs (Personal Package Archives) were an invention of Ubuntu, and are confined to Ubuntu and its derivatives and descendants, which includes Linux Mint, Peppermint, Linux Lite &c.

I have had experience with one of Jonathan Thomas's PPAs and found it to be clunky, so do take care when you go outside the realm of packages contained in the official Repositories of your Distro. In the case of Mint, it is Mint's Repos and Ubuntu's Repos, combined.

Subject to your space considerations, you might want to become acquainted with Tony George's Timeshift. I have a Tute on it here.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Timeshift is like Windows Restore but way better. You can take a snapshot of your system with it before you introduce foreign software, and then if anything goes pear-shaped, roll back your system to how it was.

And to head off at the pass any questions on hypocrisy on my part (you can install Timeshift from a PPA) - Tony's product is so trusted it is now being shipped with certain Distros already installed. I have been using it for 4 years, and it has saved my bacon a number of times :D.

Linux Mint started shipping it a little after yours. with the 18.3 'Sylvia' series, and it is now in Linux Lite 4.0 and also in Manjaro 'Strit', a community spin of Manjaro. More will likely follow.

In your current environment, you can install it with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Any questions on Timeshift, feel free to ask over at the Tute.

Cheers

Wizard

Latest posts