Tar.gz install help?

A

Angelsong7

I am trying to install a tar.gz program and can't get past the extraction of the archive. Can you help? The tar file is MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386.tar.gz. When I try the ./compile command all I get is "file not found."

I don't think "compile" is a valid command. You might try these:
./configure
./make
./make install

But some programs don't follow that convention either, and you might find a script that would need to be executed. Look in the directory where you unpacked the tarball and see if there is a README and/or INSTALL file that will help guide you.

Did you un-compress then extract the tar file? I'm not sure of you level of experience, so here are a few specifics to start.

$ gunzip MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386.tar.gz

This will leave an un-compressed MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386.tar files. Next, extract the tar file

$ tar xvf MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386.tar

This will extract files from the tar file (container file), and probably create a directory. You will see the files as they extract.

cd to the folder that is created (it will probably be MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386 or something along those lines), or stay in the current folder if a new one is not created. You should see a README or INSTALL file as atanere mentioned that will tell you how to build the utility.

If you have build problems from there, ask some more questions here. Sometimes, building utilities will get you into missing prerequisites / C compiling errors; lots of people here can help with that.

There is not a README or INSTALL file included. I will try your suggestions. And, yes, I meant "configure" not "compile."

Extracted OK, but ./configure gave me"bash: ./configure: No such file or directory." I need more suggestions. I am running Mint 17.1 and a newbie when it comes to Linux.

Not all tarballs are source code. Some contain precompiled binaries, and that may be the case here. I downloaded the i386 version you named above, and it contained an executable file but it didn't run for me. I then downloaded and extracted the x64 version, and the executable ran fine. Just double-click the file named master-pdf-editor (after you extract it, of course).

Here's the file I got that worked:
http://code-industry.net/public/MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.x86_64.tar.gz

Hope this helps.

I downloaded MasterPDFEditor-2.1.90.i386.tar.gz to take a look. I gunzipped it, and extracted the tar file. In the MasterPDFEditor directory, there is a file master-pdf-editor. If you cd to MasterPDFEditor and type the command

$ type master-pdf-editor

you get

master-pdf-editor: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=6ef4e908cc625224a92bf8de57c2276463ed1d03, stripped

This means the executable "master-pdf-editor" is already built for you; you just need to copy this somewhere in you path.

The "type" command will show you the type of a file. This will show if it is an executable script, text file, executable, etc.

Remeber - Linux does not use file extensions to signify file types (by default). Your utility is already compiled and ready to run.

Let us know if you need help putting this into a path reference-able directory (I.E. "installing" it somewhere)

It worked great when I double-clicked the file. BTW, what is the terminal command to execute the file? "Execute"? Trying to learn code here.

It worked great when I double-clicked the file. BTW, what is the terminal command to execute the file? "Execute"? Trying to learn code here.
just the executable file name.
so something like this:
Code:
/path/to/executable

If you are already in the directory with your executable, just type
./master-pdf-editor (and hit ENTER)

As you learn to be lazy, you will discover "tab completion"....
./m (then hit the TAB key and watch it complete the typing for you, then hit ENTER)

Cheers!

Thanks all for your help. I know I will be back as I learn more of Linux.

God Bless,
Mark

Thanks all for your help. I know I will be back as I learn more of Linux.

God Bless,
Mark

Thanks for this post. I got a laugh out of the mix up with users replies after reading this in the past tense. I'm glad to see you received good/intelligent replies. Most answers are always very very good here, such as the ones you received, so remember this site, visit this site, and try to contribute to it when you can. I'll try to do the same as well. I been slacking a little myself but I'm back now.

Members online