tails persistent volume in virtualbox?

if run configure persistent volume​

tails.png

So, what do you have Tails running on, if not a USB?
Run tails in virtualbox, don't can boot virtual flashdrive but have writable shared folders for persistent volume.

Hmm... Tails is meant to be used on real hardware. Is there some integral difference that means it doesn't work while virtualized? I'd ask the Tails people for input, I guess. It's not something I've ever tried to do.

Yeah, I'd definitely ask the folks at Tails - if nobody here has any help for you. Given the lack of participation, it looks like none of us have faced this issue before,

So with all the limitations, I found https://miloserdov.org/?p=2595 where they talk about using one instance of tails to make a USB bootable version where you should be able to configure the persistent storage, however, it looks like it shouldn't be supported on virtualbox. However, I can do most of the stuff in the linked walkthrough. When I get to the USB booted Tails, make the changes and launch the configuration tool, it does nothing. Which looks to be the limit mentioned in the documentation.

From the article I linked, it is 2 years old and mentions the info from 2015... So it looks like there is a desire/want for this support. Anyone else have luck trying to do something like:
Windows host with virtual box running tails
From VBox of tails, clone to a USB
From USB Tails enable persistent storage

Ultimately this is to DIY make a cold storage wallet.

I recently posted detailed instructions on how to set up Tails + persistent volume on VirtualBox here:

Staff online