T450 Issue

volpe

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone. I'm about 2 years into my cyber security bachelor degree. About a year ago a buddy of mine suggested I use Kali Linux.

So a about a month ago I finally broke down and said I'll go for it. Always have used debian but it's based off it so I'm still comfortable.

I got my Thinkpad(always have used them) used online for a deal. Had windows 10 on it originally. I booted up Kali went through a few things customized it, installed all my usual stuff.

I closed it down brought it to school and went to open it and start it up, and wouldn't start up. I plugged it in, and sure enough. Powered right on. I figured maybe it was low battery, nope, 80% on the main, and 60% on the extra.

So I started going through the forums and came across this, which I followed, replaced all 3 batteries. The Cmos, internal and external had it professionally done through the local Microcenter as I loathe taking laptops apart.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...l-not-power-on-unless-plugged-in/td-p/1623032

They had it opened on the desk and it booted right up to demonstrate. Awesome seemed to work just fine. I shut it down, closed it, went home.

Same issue happened. So I can rule out all batteries. I also did run through the laptop BIOS and that's running on an outdated 2015 date. So I have yet to update the bios. However messing with it last night I'd figure I'd let all batteries die completely, and charge them to 100%. Did that and left it shutdown but open on my desk at home. Woke up this morning and bam turned right on. So I thought hey maybe it was just not charged enough? Weird but okay computers do weird things. So I closed it down and brought it with me to work in my backpack. I went to turn it on, nothing. Had to quick do a plugin and powered right on. I noticed something of a pattern that sort of makes sense to why this issue has been so on and off.

It's every time I close the laptop lid, even if it's shutdown. If I leave the lid up, it's completely fine, boots up every time. But if I close the laptop lid, it no longer boots. Even if I quick snap it shut, and open it back up.(I just tested it again and yep. As soon as it is closed and reopens...it fails to boot up)

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

As your link shows, sometimes there may be a BIOS setting that can cause problems. Resetting to defaults is a good place to start, if you haven't done that yet. Updating the BIOS may also help, as you already mentioned.

From the Linux side, I don't know anything about Kali, but you should have power management options available which control what "close lid" will do on a laptop. I would set that to "blank screen only" and I'd probably completely disable suspend and hibernation, or anything related to those power saving options.

Good luck!

As your link shows, sometimes there may be a BIOS setting that can cause problems. Resetting to defaults is a good place to start, if you haven't done that yet. Updating the BIOS may also help, as you already mentioned.

From the Linux side, I don't know anything about Kali, but you should have power management options available which control what "close lid" will do on a laptop. I would set that to "blank screen only" and I'd probably completely disable suspend and hibernation, or anything related to those power saving options.

Good luck!

I did follow these

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-ubuntu-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7?lang=en

Still no luck.

Hello volpe, welcome to the forums.

I'm not familiar with Kali so I'm of zero help to you although if Debian has worked for you and you are familiar with Debian than I would revert back to using Debian.

I have read many stories of problems users have with Kali as Kali wasn't ever intended for the everyday desktop as a daily driver.

FWIW.
https://docs.kali.org/introduction/should-i-use-kali-linux

Hello volpe, welcome to the forums.

I'm not familiar with Kali so I'm of zero help to you although if Debian has worked for you and you are familiar with Debian than I would revert back to using Debian.

I have read many stories of problems users have with Kali as Kali wasn't ever intended for the everyday desktop as a daily driver.

FWIW.
https://docs.kali.org/introduction/should-i-use-kali-linux

I'm gonna probably switch. I'm looking to eventually become a cyber security analyst or pentester, haven't really decided yet. My friend who suggested Kali(Classmate if you haven't guessed lol) his brother does Penetration Testing. So it was more to familiarize myself with the tools while having them all laid out rather than installing them through Debian. But yeah. Going to go back to Debian and see if the issues persists. Between transitions I may try Windows again as that's what the laptop came with. To see if the issue persists across OS's or if it's something in a Kernel. Is it in the Bios? Who knows. I'll run the BIOS update once I swap over to Windows again too since Lenovo has them in nice .exe formats.

Members online