SystemD - I'm starting to see why ...

SlowCoder

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
... people have a problem with it. I don't mean the politics of it; just how it departs from the idea that everything is a file, and does seem to be monolithic.

I remember when runlevels were important, and services were easily enabled by just creating a link to them in respective runlevel rc.* directories. Pretty dang simple. Setting up swap, and mounting partitions was as simple as adding an entry in fstab. Scheduling jobs was a simple crontab/anacron edit.

I admit, these days I don't do much administration outside messing around with my own equipment, and so we could say I'm just not "educated" in SystemD. But each time I read a thread about setting up a daemon, swap or a timer in SystemD, I'm amazed how complicated the process seems. The few times I've wanted to disable a daemon, I found I couldn't re-enable it because it deleted or disengaged some required configuration file.

Does this mean I'm going to decry SystemD, and go install init? No, it doesn't. Partly because I'm a wimp. But also because I like to go with the flow, and trust the decisions made by people bigger than me to use SystemD, and hope life is actually easier. So I'll trudge along, try to learn get more comfortable with the new, modern "way of doing things."

I use init and systemd Linux distros and TBH I can't tell or see a difference.

I just install and use Linux OOTB as it comes and don't do any of that Linux guru code stuff.

I learned the basic Linux how to.

the rc files were the key to understanding Slackware and also get it working; for your own scripts to fire at boot there was and probably still is : /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I like the way you can get information with systemd using journalctrl but as for editing a file, god it looks like they were wrote by a Civil Servant or someone wearing a grey mao suit

Using /etc/rc.local, is fine in systemd. The user just has to create the file, make it executable, e.g. chmod 775, make sure it's contents are something that can execute, and that's it. There is no need to enable it with systemctl since it's a systemd "static" item which systemd treats by just running it.

In current debian which runs systemd, an inspection of /etc/init.d and /etc/rc.[0-6] shows what looks like a fully functioning SysV init system, which it is, but it's run by systemd. The presence of this SysV arrangement means that the user can actually write a SysV script and systemd will use: systemd-sysv-generator to "convert" the unit and run it.

Members online