System76’s All-New AMD-Powered Pangolin Linux Laptop Is Now Available to Order

Hmm... A couple of 1TB disks and you're up to about $1600 USD, and that's pre-tax.

Would love to have one but it's not in my budget right now.

I'm not sure that it's worth the premium, even though I'm kinda looking for a new laptop.

I'm not sure that it's worth the premium, even though I'm kinda looking for a new laptop.

Maybe they're competing with Apple. ha

I can generally get by with a 512MB drive. Don't store lots of graphics and movies I have on their own server with 4TB of drive space.

I tend to have a lot of disk images on-hand. That's the bulk of my space on many of my devices.

I only dream of laptops like that, But my stingy side says, you can do much the same and spend much less :)

16 threads on the CPU but only integrated graphics. 1080p @144Hz. 32GB of RAM. These are all contradictions in terms of what utility they offer.

- Games will never reach the framerates to fully utilize the 144Hz refresh rate unless you're trying to run some ancient potatoes. Which will, in that case make the 32GB of RAM excessive, even considering the fact that some of it needs to be given away to the GPU.

- Casual use for media or such will again see the 144Hz screen not utilized since most media runs at 60Hz or less. The RAM is again excessive.

- Productivity workloads will likely cook the CPU, causing throttling. The high refresh rate may help in office applications with eye strain, but then again, 32GB RAM is yet again too much.

I am having a hard time figuring out what its good for.

That's a very powerful laptop with very long battery life.

I've been in the market for an ultra-cheap (definitely below $100) intel architecture laptop for a while so that i could install FreeDos. That has intel architecture, but is WAAAY too powerful for what i'm looking for, not to mention the price. You get cheap with low amount of hard drive space, but i still don't need anything close to that for FreeDos.

I ordered a 16GB chromebook with a celeron processor for $67 a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately i had to return the thing because i got it and the screen was messed up. The screen imperfection was not a big deal, but the vendor said it was "open box" condition and any screw up with screen like that reveals that the condition was a lie. Luckily i don't i'm not paying for the return shipping.

I'm now pessimistic that it's possible to find a new or open box (should mean that it was basically just opened and maybe used a couple times for testing...) chromebook in that price range in today's marketplace. I'm down with refurbished but only if it was from a real life store, things in refurbished condition can be for great deals but not if there are some screw ups that the vendor either accidentally or purposefully overlooked.

P.S.: oh forgot to mention that if the FreeDos thing didn't work out that i would be happy to try puppy linux :) The goal for me is to spend almost nothing for a laptop that doesn't have execessive memory for these kinds of operating systems.

That's a very powerful laptop with very long battery life.

I've been in the market for an ultra-cheap (definitely below $100) intel architecture laptop for a while so that i could install FreeDos. That has intel architecture, but is WAAAY too powerful for what i'm looking for, not to mention the price. You get cheap with low amount of hard drive space, but i still don't need anything close to that for FreeDos.

I ordered a 16GB chromebook with a celeron processor for $67 a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately i had to return the thing because i got it and the screen was messed up. The screen imperfection was not a big deal, but the vendor said it was "open box" condition and any screw up with screen like that reveals that the condition was a lie. Luckily i don't i'm not paying for the return shipping.

I'm now pessimistic that it's possible to find a new or open box (should mean that it was basically just opened and maybe used a couple times for testing...) chromebook in that price range in today's marketplace. I'm down with refurbished but only if it was from a real life store, things in refurbished condition can be for great deals but not if there are some screw ups that the vendor either accidentally or purposefully overlooked.

P.S.: oh forgot to mention that if the FreeDos thing didn't work out that i would be happy to try puppy linux :) The goal for me is to spend almost nothing for a laptop that doesn't have execessive memory for these kinds of operating systems.

I've never seen a laptop under a hundred bucks before. Whoa!
What will you be using FreeDos for?

Last edited:
I've never seen a laptop over under a hundred bucks before. Whoa!
What will you be using FreeDos for?
That's somewhat unpredictable, but one of the activities i had in mind was using vim to write fiction. Its pretty fucking up in the air, nothing important!

Micro Center sells the Evolve III Maestro Laptop, currently on sale for $49.96, regular price $59.97. I have never seen one, and it gets poor reviews. The low price feels unreal to me.

I know that this is Linux.org, but the cost might be worth it just for the Windows 10 Pro Education license alone. It does leave you to wonder how much remained to cover the cost of the actual hardware. :-o

By the way, a quick web search showed that people have installed Linux on them. Do your own research first. There were subtle differences between versions of that laptop.

Last edited:
Micro Center sells the Evolve III Maestro Laptop, currently on sale for $49.95, regular price $59.95. I have never seen one, but it gets poor reviews. Still, the low price feels unreal to me.

I know that this is Linux.org, but the cost might be worth it just for the Windows 10 Pro Education license alone. It does leave you to wonder how much remained to cover the cost of the actual hardware. :-o

By the way, a quick web search showed that people have installed Linux on them. Do your own research first. There were subtle differences between versions of that laptop.
What the heck...

probably not very good but i will look into it.