System reboots seconds after reaching desktop

The events logs are probably in /var/logs/.
You can also look at system logs by entering:
var/log/syslog (this is a very long log)

The dmesg command may show you some things too.

How to View Linux Logs
Oh! You mean those event logs! Sorry, but since the machine always reboots seconds after reaching runlevel 5, I don't have enough time to do anything on the command line. I could pull out the m.2 SSD and connect it to another machine, but it is in a hard-to-reach place.
I'll first try switching the PSU. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to the SSD.

After reading a handful of google searches on rebooting problems the Asus X570 has shown issues repeatedly. It could be the BIOS or the PSU on it's way out.

Yes, there is a way to control the GPU with parameters. I've never tried it though:-

FWIW, My main board is the Asus X-570 Tuf Gaming and I've only had one issue one time.
Suddenly, my system shut down for no reason. Still don't know what that was about.
Thank you. I have ordered a new PSU and hope that installing it will fix the problem. Fingers crossed ;-)

Oh! You mean those event logs! Sorry, but since the machine always reboots seconds after reaching runlevel 5, I don't have enough time to do anything on the command line. I could pull out the m.2 SSD and connect it to another machine, but it is in a hard-to-reach place.
I'll first try switching the PSU. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to the SSD.
Shame you can't get to those logs.

How old is the PSU you currently have and what's it's wattage?

Out of curiosity, what PSU did you order?

I tend to stick with Corsair.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have ordered a new PSU and hope that installing it will fix the problem. Fingers crossed ;-)
You're Welcome-:)

Top PSU's for June 2020--

I think replacinf PSU is the right move, I think the symptoms point towards this.
Agreed.

Maybe OP can get a rebate on his new PSU.

Corsair sent me a $25.00 gift card:-

Shame you can't get to those logs.

How old is the PSU you currently have and what's it's wattage?

Out of curiosity, what PSU did you order?

I tend to stick with Corsair.
I got the PSU in March, it's a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W".
Now I have ordered a Thermaltake Rome 750W.
My RAM's made by Corsair. I hadn't read the description and was quite surprised when the DIMMs lit up in all colors of the rainbow ;-)

I got the PSU in March, it's a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W".
Now I have ordered a Thermaltake Rome 750W.
My RAM's made by Corsair. I hadn't read the description and was quite surprised when the DIMMs lit up in all colors of the rainbow ;-)
Cool!
I wanted to pick up the RGB RAM too however; it was a little pricey.
Hopefully your new Thermaltake will do the job.

I can only imagine how irritating it is that your machine keeps rebooting.
As if there isn't already enough stress going on in the world already.

How long till your new psu arrives?

Cool!
I wanted to pick up the RGB RAM too however; it was a little pricey.
Hopefully your new Thermaltake will do the job.

I can only imagine how irritating it is that your machine keeps rebooting.
As if there isn't already enough stress going on in the world already.

How long till your new psu arrives?
If the new PSU does not improve the situation, I guess I'll have to switch the processor. I don't think the hard drive can be responsible ;)
Fortunately I had kept my old workstation around, and very fortunately it already had an m.2 slot, so I could at least save some of my work. I am teaching at a University, and during the semester there is quite a bit of pressure, particularly if all lectures suddenly have to be given online instead of in a classroom.
The new PSU is set to arrive on Thursday. Let's see if it helps.

Hope it solves your problem!

If the new PSU does not improve the situation, I guess I'll have to switch the processor. I don't think the hard drive can be responsible ;)
Fortunately I had kept my old workstation around, and very fortunately it already had an m.2 slot, so I could at least save some of my work. I am teaching at a University, and during the semester there is quite a bit of pressure, particularly if all lectures suddenly have to be given online instead of in a classroom.
The new PSU is set to arrive on Thursday. Let's see if it helps.
OK, keep us posted:-:)

If the machine has reached the 'Desktop' - if even for just a few seconds - there 'should' be quite a bit of information in the "logs". You could access the log files using a "Live" boot disc.

If the machine reboots a few seconds after reaching the 'Desktop' using a 'Live' boot disc - then the problem is most likely hardware related.

If the machine has reached the 'Desktop' - if even for just a few seconds - there 'should' be quite a bit of information in the "logs". You could access the log files using a "Live" boot disc.

If the machine reboots a few seconds after reaching the 'Desktop' using a 'Live' boot disc - then the problem is most likely hardware related.
Thank you. I have tried booting from a flash drive, and it either fails or it reboots after a few seconds.
I also think that it should be the hardware, since I have changed no software settings whatsoever, the problem started out of the blue while I was watching a video.

OK, keep us posted:-:)
The new PSU has arrived, and I have installed it.
Unfortunately no luck, the machine still reboots after a few seconds on the desktop.
So its not the mainboard, its not the PSU, its not the graphics card, its not the HDD, its not the DVD drive (I tried disconnecting those), its not the case's cooling fan (yes, I felt I was running out of options ;)), and disconnecting the m.2 SSD does not help, either.
Interestingly, the system kept going a little longer than usual at the first start, but later it did not even make it to the desktop anymore. Could this suggest a thermal problem? Something was cold the first time and then too hot later?

Last edited:
The new PSU has arrived, and I have installed it.
Unfortunately no luck, the machine still reboots after a few seconds on the desktop.
So its not the mainboard, its not the PSU, its not the graphics card, its not the HDD, its not the DVD drive (I tried disconnecting those), its not the case's cooling fan (yes, I felt I was running out of options ;)), and disconnecting the m.2 SSD does not help, either.
Interestingly, the system kept going a little longer than usual at the first start, but later it did not even make it to the desktop anymore. Could this suggest a thermal problem? Something was cold the first time and then too hot later?
It does suggest a thermal problem to me. It could even be a hardware failure problem - such as expanded capacitors or a broken CPU.

If you have disconnected the graphics card (do you have an on-board graphics chip?), the HDD, the optical drive, and the SSD you have very much narrowed down the problem.

Did you disconnect all of those items at the same time? I would try that. You will not be able to boot into an operating system but the motherboard should still POST without any peripherals attached. Keep the cooling fans attached.

Also - how long did you let the MemTest run? In my experience MemTest will usually find a problem very quickly but the full suite of tests will take a rather long time. Faulty RAM can result in some rather 'odd' and difficult to diagnose problems.

Have you tried cleaning off the CPU and cooler and applying new thermal compound?

This has evolved from a 'head-scratcher' into a challenge!

P.S. Also make sure the AC power going to the machine is not doing anything 'peculiar".

(...)
Also - how long did you let the MemTest run? In my experience MemTest will usually find a problem very quickly but the full suite of tests will take a rather long time. Faulty RAM can result in some rather 'odd' and difficult to diagnose problems.

Have you tried cleaning off the CPU and cooler and applying new thermal compound?

This has evolved from a 'head-scratcher' into a challenge!

Indeed a challenge. But it seems that I have just found the solution: if I remove one of the memory modules, the system works (at least it works for as long as I was willing to wait ;)) If I plug in the module again, the system reboots within seconds.

So it seems that it was a memory problem, after all, although memtest86 did not report any problems after running for approximately two hours.

Thank you all for your help :)

Indeed a challenge. But it seems that I have just found the solution: if I remove one of the memory modules, the system works (at least it works for as long as I was willing to wait ;)) If I plug in the module again, the system reboots within seconds.
Aha! That is exactly what I was referring to when I said "Faulty RAM can result in some rather 'odd' and difficult to diagnose problems."!!! :)
Glad you got it sorted out.

Aha! That is exactly what I was referring to when I said "Faulty RAM can result in some rather 'odd' and difficult to diagnose problems."!!! :)
Glad you got it sorted out.
Odd indeed. How can faulty DIMMs cause both Linux and Windows to reboot?
I have returned the faulty module to the vendor and hope that a replacement will arrive tomorrow.
Thank you for your help :)

Members online

Latest posts