System Problem error message at startup.

jjconstr

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I’ve been using Bionic Beaver for a week or so. First time using Linux. It seems to work smoothly, Dual Booted with Win 7 Acer Aspire 5733Z-4851. Intel Pentium P6100, Intel HD Graphics and 4GB DDR3 Memory. I first installed a live copy to a 16 GB memory stick, then shrunk my C drive for a Dual Boot with Win 7.

Even though it runs well, I get an error message after it has booted. The error says there was a system problem. Would I like to report it? I say Yes, report it. I see it every time I boot. I have no idea how to investigate the problem. Don't know if there is a troubleshooter in Linux. I activated the Live Patch and automatic updates.

Another thing strange is that my Airplane mode has been on, though it doesn't seem to affect my browsing or email. I've been turning it off, but that doesn't seem to change anything. Last two days I didn't see it.

Also, during the boot process, a black screen comes up with lines of text which I don't understand. I don't know if it is normal or not. Here’s a pic.

Anyone have recommendations? Explanations? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Jjconstr

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_errors.jpg
    IMG_20200206_errors.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 473

Sorry to confuse the issue with two questions. Kind of you to reply. The system problem error message comes up with each reboot. It is just a pop up window. No Error code, just the, "There was a System Problem. Do you want to report it?" I report it each time.

I'm happy the blue screen of text doesn't show any problems. Thank you.

Have a read of this....

Nice link, Brian - I have bookmarked that :)

I might add that I run, typically, 80 - 100 Linux and I have only ever seen this problem with Ubuntu's.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips and crashes over a table and reports a bug he squashed on the way to the floor)

G'day @jjconstr and welcome to linux.org ;). You are in good company, with our largest growth area currently being those aged 55 - 85, although I expect we will pick up a number of Windows 7 users.

Notable in that article is a part where it says

The content of the file is:
# set this to 0 to disable apport, or to 1 to enable it
# you can temporarily override this with
# sudo service apport start force_start=1
enabled=1
Change the enabled=1 to enabled=0. Save and close the file.

The lines preceded with a hash are Comments, ignored by the software. Windows use similar with .bat files and .ini files, if you have ever read any.

My choice when I alter one of these files is to place a comment reminding yourself it has been changed.

For example, I might place, below

enabled=0
# 200209 - changed this from 1 (one) to 0 (zero) to eliminate popup window crash report

Then if you come back to it later, you can see why and what you changed.

Works for me :D

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Have a read of this....
That looks like what I need. Thanks so much!
Nice link, Brian - I have bookmarked that :)

I might add that I run, typically, 80 - 100 Linux and I have only ever seen this problem with Ubuntu's.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips and crashes over a table and reports a bug he squashed on the way to the floor)

G'day @jjconstr and welcome to linux.org ;). You are in good company, with our largest growth area currently being those aged 55 - 85, although I expect we will pick up a number of Windows 7 users.

Notable in that article is a part where it says

The lines preceded with a hash are Comments, ignored by the software. Windows use similar with .bat files and .ini files, if you have ever read any.

My choice when I alter one of these files is to place a comment reminding yourself it has been changed.

For example, I might place, below

enabled=0
# 200209 - changed this from 1 (one) to 0 (zero) to eliminate popup window crash report

Then if you come back to it later, you can see why and what you changed.

Works for me :D

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I appreciate your post. I will learn more about using terminal before trying anything. It looks inviting.

Hi,

I’ve been using Bionic Beaver for a week or so. First time using Linux. It seems to work smoothly, Dual Booted with Win 7 Acer Aspire 5733Z-4851. Intel Pentium P6100, Intel HD Graphics and 4GB DDR3 Memory. I first installed a live copy to a 16 GB memory stick, then shrunk my C drive for a Dual Boot with Win 7.

Even though it runs well, I get an error message after it has booted. The error says there was a system problem. Would I like to report it? I say Yes, report it. I see it every time I boot. I have no idea how to investigate the problem. Don't know if there is a troubleshooter in Linux. I activated the Live Patch and automatic updates.

Another thing strange is that my Airplane mode has been on, though it doesn't seem to affect my browsing or email. I've been turning it off, but that doesn't seem to change anything. Last two days I didn't see it.

Also, during the boot process, a black screen comes up with lines of text which I don't understand. I don't know if it is normal or not. Here’s a pic.

Anyone have recommendations? Explanations? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Jjconstr
Two months later now, still have airplane mode on at startup, though it doesnt affect my email or browsing. I suppose if I wanted to turn it on, it would not work. I use airplane mode on my cellphones regularly. With my laptop, I unplug my Verizon Jetpack.

Two months later now, still have airplane mode on at startup, though it doesnt affect my email or browsing. I suppose if I wanted to turn it on, it would not work. I use airplane mode on my cellphones regularly. With my laptop, I unplug my Verizon Jetpack.
Thanks Wiz, get well, do your exercises post op.

Members online