System lockup on new install - how do I interpret the logs?

KDE5FAN

Reaction score
Credits
I've installed Kubuntu 19.04 and I must say it is running beautifully (much better than 18.04 did on my machine, it didn't like hardware for some reason) for 2+ weeks and then I had my first lockup. It looked like a video issue (which seems to be happening on both my Linux systems. Nvidia cards on both...) b/c I got some strange random pixels, like the whole screen was squished vertically to fit into 40-50 pixels high (out of 1080). I'm running synergy KVM, so IDK if that makes a difference.

I ran KSystemLog and when the log was loaded I clicked on "System Log" and there were many pages of entries in red as well as on the Journald log (red is critical message). I really don't know how to look at these like I did with Windows logs and I don't know where to start really.

I'm worried about system security b/c I'm not 100% sure Synergy KVM is secure enough (been considering not using SSL encryption and maybe running everything over an SSH tunnel??) and I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue or something else I need to figure out.

Can anyone give me some direction on how to look at these logs or know of any good guides on how to learn about reading them?

Members online