system-config-network failed with error 'An unhandled exception has occured

cleetusantony007

Reaction score
Credits
Dear All,

Version - Enterprise linux 5
System pings to self IP. Not pinging GW IP.

When I open GUI Administration > Network, it gives error message as mentioned above. The screen shot is attached.

Appreciate for any help.

Thanks
Cleetus

Attachments

• Linux Error_Network.jpeg
    Linux Error_Network.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 113

The screenshot tells you exacty what to do with it and what it is.

It is a bug.

File a detailed bug report etc etc at linuxoracle.com etc

You didn't even share screenshot or output of the actual ping and it might be useful to share your network configuration. Aside from that Oracle Linux 5(and RHEL5 are not supported anymore, update to a supported version of Oracle Linux or try and contact Oracle support with your problem.

You didn't even share screenshot or output of the actual ping and it might be useful to share your network configuration. Aside from that Oracle Linux 5(and RHEL5 are not supported anymore, update to a supported version of Oracle Linux or try and contact Oracle support with your problem.
Attached the output report.
Kindly see.

Attachments

• bug.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 160
Is that the output you get when you try and ping the gateway? Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release /etc/os-release

Last edited:
Is that the output you get when you try and ping the gateway? Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release /etc/os-release
Sorry, I missed to attach ping details
Attached the details u needed.

Is there anyway we can reinstall network part ?

Attachments

• Redhat release.jpeg
    Redhat release.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Ping.jpeg
    Ping.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 117
I might be off base here, but I see "link detected: no" in the ping image. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wired, did you verify the cable is in? I know it seems elementary, but ... it happens.

Did you recently do an update leading to the error? If so, what?

Also, I assume you have power cycled (turned completely off and back on, not just restarted) the computer?

No OP is using Rhel5 which has been end of life for a while. What's the output of the following?
Code:
ip a
ip route

I might be off base here, but I see "link detected: no" in the ping image. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wired, did you verify the cable is in? I know it seems elementary, but ... it happens.

Also, I assume you have power cycled (turned completely off and back on, not just restarted) the computer?
Its wired. Also a HP Blade server C7000. This server is one of the blades. Cables r IN and shows activity. No update done recently. Restarted, Power cycled many times.

No OP is using Rhel5 which has been end of life for a while. What's the output of the following?
Code:
ip a
ip route
Attached the command output

169.254.0.0./16 dev eth1 scope link
This APIPA address entry in ip route list causing the issue for communication ?
Tried deleting this entry from route list. Still its comes back.

Attachments

• IP Route.jpeg
    IP Route.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
According to that article to network gui crash is related to a wrong /etc/hosts entree and/or a wrong setting in /etc/sysconfing/networking/profiles/*/ and that it was fixed with an update in 2011. Are there other hosts in that same network that are still able to reach the gateway?

According to that article to network gui crash is related to a wrong /etc/hosts entree and/or a wrong setting in /etc/sysconfing/networking/profiles/*/ and that it was fixed with an update in 2011. Are there other hosts in that same network that are still able to reach the gateway?
Other hosts in the same network are able to reach gateway.

I managed to bring back the GUI network screen by editing /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfing/networking/profiles.
Still it doesnt reach to GW.

Last edited:
If nothing has changed the first thing I would do is to check the cable since in one of your other screenshots is says "Link detected: no". Remove both of them en plug them back in until you are sure they are connected. If that doesn't work I would have a look at replacing the nic with another one to see if that network configuration does work on that one.

If nothing has changed the first thing I would do is to check the cable since in one of your other screenshots is says "Link detected: no". Remove both of them en plug them back in until you are sure they are connected. If that doesn't work I would have a look at replacing the nic with another one to see if that network configuration does work on that one.
Thinking the same thing either bad host or bad Cat5 or bad NIC

Members online

Latest posts