System Boot is "Still Running"

navjotk

Reaction score
Credits
Hello to the Linux Community,

I am a beginner to use Linux servers. Currently, I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server. The system needed a restart so I executed the reboot using the "REBOOT" command as a root user. When I check the reboot status using "LAST or LAST -X" commands and the results show that the system boot is "STILL RUNNING". Could anyone guide me here if this is okay or system is taking a long time to reboot or something needs to be updated? I have attached an image for reference. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• reboot.PNG
    reboot.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 813

last reboot only gives you a list of times of the last time the system was rebooted and at what time it was up again.

last reboot only gives you a list of times of the last time the system was rebooted and at what time it was up again.
Thanks for your response! But why does it say "System boot Still running"?

In that screenshot the top line translates into the following, going from bottom to top:
line 3: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 18:07, then at 18:08 system was rebooted.
line 2: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 18:09, then at 20:03 system was rebooted.
line 1: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 20:04, and since that it hasn't rebooted so it has the status "still running"

In that screenshot the top line translates into the following, going from bottom to top:
line 3: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 18:07, then at 18:08 system was rebooted.
line 2: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 18:09, then at 20:03 system was rebooted.
line 1: Thur June 3, system finished booting at 20:04, and since that it hasn't rebooted so it has the status "still running"
Thanks a lot for the clarification!

For future questions, it's a whole lot easier for us if you don't post screenshots of text. Post the text itself and wrap it in the code tags.

Members online