System 76 Desktop questions...

AIC

Reaction score
Credits
I bought one back in approx. 2015, a wild-dog pro Desktop. I loved it, have had issues off and on, as I'm no Linux expert. I know just enough to get myself in a jam Lol... Been messing with Windows pc's since '98... but had a stroke in '08, and I'm not so swift anymore! :)
Anyway, I spend a lot of time in bed on my chromebook OS laptop, but I want to connect it to my Linux. It is updated with the latest version, but no sound... ?
I'd like to use tails as well, and wondering if I hook my c-book to it, will I still be private when I use Linux (it came with Ubuntu, btw) ? And most importantly, is it doable to somehow use my chromebook as a Monitor for my Linux, since it has the keyboard too? I don't know what it takes to make that happen.
Hope someone can help... many thanks :)

When not using SSH and SSH forwarding, I use Teamviewer to remotely control computers these days. There's also VNC.

Teamviewer has an Android client, but I've never used it. There are numerous VNC applications available as well. You could look into that, but I have no experience with any of them except some SSH clients which aren't really what you're after. I dunno if SSH X forwarding is gonna work on Chrome. While it's Linux-based, loosely, I simply don't know - but I doubt it.

Reactions: AIC

I went for a bike ride today, a fairly spirited ride, and they kept hitting my helmet - leaving behind quite a mess. Trying to wipe them off my visor while wearing gloves just smears them more.

When I got home, I noticed them on my windows. The house is buttoned up well, as is a requirement where I live, but a few always make it inside somehow. They must breed in bulk at this time of the year, presumably to make it through the winter with adequate numbers.

They shouldn't be here. They're an invasive species and, according to a buddy who is a state biologist attached to the game warden service, there's no safe or effective way to eliminate them. Nothing preys on them as a part of their diet, so their numbers are many.

I realize we're terribly off topic, but I don't have any help other than what I mentioned in the first reply. Both @kc1di and I are in the US northeast, specifically Maine.

I will further mention that I've used the proprietary RealVNC in Linux and found it easier to set up and more stable than the opensource stuff like TigerVNC.

• beer
I'm looking online, weighing my options... thinking about a place online that is selling actual linux-loaded Dell laptops. Thinking of getting the cheapest one for its keyboard/small screen and light weight, and connecting it to my Desktop. Probably, or, hopefully should be the more trouble free option. :rolleyes: or, I may have to eat those words.
As for the pests, aka "Asian Bean Beetles" as they are known here, they aren't nearly as bad here in Indiana these days, sounds like they migrated to the northeast... yeah I know what it's like dealing with them, they were really bad here 10-15 years ago. They do provide a good challenging hobby for house Cats though!! Lmao :p

Probably, or, hopefully should be the more trouble free option.

I believe Dell still offers some laptops with Linux installed. I think they only offer higher end stuff, however. Let me actually use a search engine...

Yeah:

The stuff is pricey, but it comes with support and a warranty. Those are good things and worth quite a bit to some of us. Not long ago, I grabbed a brand new MSI and made sure everything was 'onboard'. Sure enough, I didn't have to install any drivers to make it work.

As for the pests, aka "Asian Bean Beetles" as they are known here, they aren't nearly as bad here in Indiana these days, sounds like they migrated to the northeast...

That'd be the critters and they're horrible. Though, at least they're not as large as the June Bugs. Those will smear your visor up quickly. I should probably get some disposable window wipes to carry with me. I can't imagine riding without a full helmet. (I wear all the gear, all the time.)

Anyhow, they've been in Maine as long as I've been here, but they look to be especially brutal this year. I don't have cats, and the dog is entirely disinterested.

The June bugs have been bad this year, esp at early nighttime.

Got hit in the bare chest by one on my motorcycle back in my late 20s. I'm glad it didn't hit me in the eye or something... I've rode with helmet, jackets and riding footwear now.

the June Bugs.
oh yes, we called them marsh bugs, when the wife moved down from up north [she was a townie and I have always been a country lad] she was petrified as we would get crickets coming in via the air inlet to the open fire, but she could not get use to he marsh bugs, god only knows how they got in, but we would lay in bed in the dark, and you could hear the buzz from their wings then a thud as they flew into the walls or furniture, she hated the crunch walking across the bedroom floor in the mornings, as for 6 weeks there would be a layer of them across the floor, another creacher she had never seen was the glow-worm [firefly larvae] and after 48 yrs she is still dubious of many of our [uk] country fauna,

as for 6 weeks there would be a layer of them across the floor

It's nowhere near that here.

I've rode with helmet, jackets and riding footwear now.

I wear an entire suit, complete with airbag. I look just like the folks you see racing on TV. Well, the missus says I look like an apple - even though I'm rather skinny. Still, I think I look awesome - and I get a bunch of surprised stares when I pull up beside someone. I also mostly ride sport bikes, particularly BMW. Right now, I have out a fairly new BMW R1150GS. I have a fairly modest collection, but I do have a Goldwing for when I want a cruiser experience.

Yeah, this thread is quite off topic at this point - and I'm not only not helping, I might be to blame.

• tux
I don't mind off-topic, as long as everyone's good with it. :)

I don't mind off-topic, as long as everyone's good with it. :)

Well, I'm a mod, so it's unlikely anyone's gonna ban me. And, we deal with reality here. Topics sometimes meander off topic - but we still try to be helpful. In your case, I think we've managed to get you as much information as we can, though there will be other thoughts that may be added as time passes.

Okay, so I made the decision to get a new monitor for my desktop, instead of all the ideas of running my Desktop Linux pc through a separate laptop. When I hook it up and turn on the desktop power, it runs for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, then kicks off. And same thing again, and again. It did that last time I had it up and running, and it straightened out but I can't remember what I did to get it working last time. Does anyone have any ideas?