Switching Ubuntu's

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I am running Lubuntu 18.04 LTS and after I fixed my graphics card with a new fan or buy a new one in the coming months, can I change to Kubuntu by installing kde-full or kde-plasma-desktop from Synaptic?

Might this work or break everything?

They say you can however has always been problematic for me going from one desktop environment to another desktop environment although it has been a few Linux Distros sin I have done such.

What you might do is to save everything you what to keep and give it a try and see what happens.

When moving desktop environments sometimes needed dependencies seem to get removed or lost and needed dependences for the new desktop environment are missing.

If nothing else it will be a very good learning experience and you will truly know.

Learn by doing is always the best teacher.

I love learning, but I have only one desktop PC. I think I'll wait a bit, LXDE is boring, but it works so well.

I am running Lubuntu 18.04 LTS and after I fixed my graphics card with a new fan or buy a new one in the coming months, can I change to Kubuntu by installing kde-full or kde-plasma-desktop from Synaptic?

Back when I first started using Linux having multiple desktop environments was actually a selling point!
Nowadays it seems to be frowned upon - and for good reason I think.

That being said - there is no 'technical' reason I am aware of which would preclude a person from having LXDE, KDE, Gnome, etc. installed on the same OS. It just gets a little 'messy' and can cause 'complications' when updating, upgrading, adding, or removing packages.

Sooooo -
Yes :)

What I would suggest is to backup your /home partition before you do anything. Then try installing the other desktop(s). That way if you screw up your machine, you can just reinstall and restore your /home partition and the only thing that's a pain is remembering what apps to install afterwards but all your settings and customizations will remain because they're stored in /home.

Members online