[SWITCHING TO DEBIAN] Sound and video unsynced in Kali Linux virtualbox

kamra0000

Reaction score
Credits
My sound and video are unsynced when I play videos in a browser in virtualbox. this does not seem to be a browser issue because I tried to play a video on 2 different browsers and I got the same result. Please help

I am also new to kali linux so any help is appreciated

Last edited:

What are the specs of the host machine, and how much virtual hardware have you dedicated to the guest? What's the video memory set at?

Recommendation #1. Use your physical host machine to watch multimedia instead of a virtual machine.
Recommendation #2. Kali Linux is a cybersecurity tool rather than a "standard end-user desktop OS". While it can be used as a normal desktop OS, expect to come across a lot more impediments in attempting to use it as such.

What are the specs of the host machine, and how much virtual hardware have you dedicated to the guest? What's the video memory set at?
I have Microsoft Windows Home
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
System Model HP Laptop 14-fq0xxx
64 bit
Processor AMD Athlon Silver 3050U with Radeon Graphics, 2300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
I gave the virtual machine 1.731 gb of base memory and the video memory at 128 mb.

Recommendation #1. Use your physical host machine to watch multimedia instead of a virtual machine.
Recommendation #2. Kali Linux is a cybersecurity tool rather than a "standard end-user desktop OS". While it can be used as a normal desktop OS, expect to come across a lot more impediments in attempting to use it as such.
I am taking ethical hacking courses and it really makes more sense to have the media playing inside the machine instead of in the host because I don't want to switch programs all the time. And doing split screen is also not good for me because I won't have a good desktop layout.

Hmm... Those look like *adequate* (barely) stats to where it shouldn't lag due to system limitations. Just to be sure, I'd check to see if the process manager indicates full RAM/CPU usage during video playback. If either of those are pegged at 100%, or close to it, it may be the cause.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with using VBox on Windows, so I have no idea about the host's influences on this.

I think we've got a couple of users that use Kali in a VM periodically. Maybe they'll chime in.

Hmm... Those look like *adequate* (barely) stats to where it shouldn't lag due to system limitations. Just to be sure, I'd check to see if the process manager indicates full RAM/CPU usage during video playback. If either of those are pegged at 100%, or close to it, it may be the cause.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with using VBox on Windows, so I have no idea about the host's influences on this.

I think we've got a couple of users that use Kali in a VM periodically. Maybe they'll chime in.
I tried this and when I played a video the CPU usage went to 90%.
So is there any way to prevent the video to unsync?

Hmm... 90% is high, but shouldn't be high enough to cause stutter, un-syncing, or lag. Resource constriction was/is my only idea.

Do you have a sample video that I can try watching in a VM? Do these videos have an option to try viewing them at a lower resolution?

If you link an example, I can at least look at it in a VM to see if it stutters for me. It won't be a precise test, but it may give some additional insight and someone else may clue in on it and know a solution.

I loaded the video up in a VM. It started a bit choppy, probably because I was remotely accessing the computer with the VMs loaded on it. It then played fine. I decided to go over and check it on the device and it played fine, without any lag or stutter - and it was in sync.

So, it's not the video and it's not *necessarily* the fact that it's a VM.

At this point, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I can't replicate it here.

I loaded the video up in a VM. It started a bit choppy, probably because I was remotely accessing the computer with the VMs loaded on it. It then played fine. I decided to go over and check it on the device and it played fine, without any lag or stutter - and it was in sync.

So, it's not the video and it's not *necessarily* the fact that it's a VM.

At this point, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I can't replicate it here.
I have never gotten any lag. It does not seem like a performance issue.

I am switching to debian and doing a dual boot I do not need a fix anymore

Latest posts