Switching to a Linux Distro (Probably Kali or Ubuntu, haven't decided yet) from Windows 10 (No Dual Boot)

itsrxmmy

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to completely switch to a Linux Distro (Either Kali or Ubuntu, still deciding) from my Windows 10 Laptop. I know you can do Dual Boot that lets you switch from Linux to Windows and Windows to Linux whenever you want, but I want to make the full switch.

Do I just go to the website of the Distro, click download, and let it do its thing, or is it more complicated than that?

make the full switch.
Like completely Delete windows .Yes you can do that and this isnt very hard .You want make a bootable usb with the iso of ubuntu or kali (kali not recommended for new linux users)
Then boot the iso and wipe the entire disk and install the install is straight forward .

Last edited:
Like completely Delete windows .Yes you can do that and this isnt very hard .You want make a bootable usb with the iso of ubuntu or kali (kali not recommended for new linux users)
Then boot the iso and wipe the entire disk and install the install is straight forward .
thank you

thank you
You are Welcome, if you want any assistance during install just google how to install ubuntu or kali . Have a good time using linux

Welcome to the forums
Kali is not for the inexperienced user,

Do I just go to the website of the Distro, click download, and let it do its thing, or is it more complicated than that?

A little more involved than that ; i would say how angst free your experience is going to be , depends on a prospective Linux convert's attitude and patience.

As been mentioned kali isn't a pragmatic choice. Mint 20.3 Una Cinnamon Beta is out and stable should be out soon. I've got Mint on my sons laptop and a lot on here recommend it. So mentioning pragmatic , if you do some reading and preparatory work, then by the time you've done that Mint 20.3 stable should be out.

The first steps are do nothing to your laptop; instead get some usb sticks and in the "appropriate " manner "put" a Linux of choice .iso on to it, then boot from that USB and play for a week with the Live Distro. Your research will be "what does he mean by appropriately putting a Linux .iso onto a usb" .

PS you can install , when you know your way around your Distro some of kali tools. So for a "dip your toe" into pentesting you don't even need Kali. if its not pentesting what would attract you to want to install kali ?

about Mint : https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4202

I would have to agree with the others here Kali is not a good choice to learn Linux from to start. Mint, Ubuntu, MX. PClinuxOS all better choices for a New Linux OP. Good luck and choose wisely depending upon what you actually do with your computer.
PopOS has been suggested for those into gaming.

I just recently installed the ElementaryOS on my pc over windows. Is there anyway I could get back my Windows?

I just recently installed the ElementaryOS on my pc over windows. Is there anyway I could get back my Windows?
You would simply have to reinstall windows it will delete Linux. You should start your own thread though and not post on the tail of others. Happy Holidays.

@sketchcatt
as my friend @kc1di has said you will have to re-install windows [if you don't have a disc they can be downloaded from Microsoft] all you need is your license number.
once you have re-installed windows , then re-install Linux using the "Install alongside windows" option it will re-partition the disc for you without loosing your windows,

Bwiz

I would like to completely switch to a Linux Distro (Either Kali or Ubuntu, still deciding) from my Windows 10 Laptop. I know you can do Dual Boot that lets you switch from Linux to Windows and Windows to Linux whenever you want, but I want to make the full switch.

Don't swith to kali linux:confused:. Inatall zorin os, pop os, or linux mint instead. Ubuntu also is nice

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts